CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Double-click will no longer open file after installing LibreOffice alongside MS Office 2010

I recently installed LibreOffice on my Ubuntu 18.04 system in order to open a particularly recalcitrant Word file, remembering that I had once salvaged another file by importing it into OpenOffice.

LibreOffice installed just fine, and now runs alongside MS Office 2010, which I installed using Crossover Office 18.1. There is only one problem: if the default file association is with MS Word/Excel, docx files now fail to open when I double-click them. Xlsx files sometimes display the same behaviour. Interestingly, if I set the default file association to LibreOffice rather than MS Office double-click does, actually, work - but LibreOffice is, of course, launched, rather than MS Office.

Also, I can open these files with LibreOffice using right-click, but not with Microsoft Office - even though MS Word and MS Excel are registered as the default applications.

I have tried recreating the Bottle file associations, as well as resetting the default file association using Gnome's right-click menu. Neither works.

The files do open correctly if I open MS Word or Excel and then use File > Open.

Does anyone know what might be the problem, and how I could resolve it?

I was able to solve this problem by setting docx and xlsx files to open with 'Microsoft Word 2010' and 'Microsoft Excel 2010', instead of with 'Microsoft Word' and 'Microsoft Excel'. In Gnome, this can be done by doing right click > properties > open with and then scrolling down to the Word and Excel 2010 entries in the list.

I think this problem is caused by LibreOffice somehow laying claim to the regular Word and Excel entries. It has replaced the Word entry in my favourites menu, too.

Geert wrote:

Does anyone know what might be the problem, and how I could resolve
it?

This has happened to me since almost the oldest versions of OpenOffice I have been using (version 5 in 2005?). I think since they merged it with games. It works for a while and then the links just stop working. Note I always have been using KDE.

My solution is to change the file type options (when it happens again) and create a new link that uses the "exce;" or " winword" links in the ~/bin directory.

In KDE right-click on the file. Open the properties and the click on "File Type Options" (there are other ways to go there, this is just easy when it happens)
Edit the excel or winword etc entry there and change the application link into something like: /home/<USER>/bin/winword %U

This works.

Regards,
Peter Vollebregt

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM3hKclJuQ0hudjdma041VyIsImdkcHIiOjB9