CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Error when click the File tab - Office365 suite

Hello,

I have a subscription to Office365 E3 license via my employer and I was able to successfully get it installed and the 4 apps I need, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Onenote seem to launch fine and I'm able to attach my Office365 account to register the software. I'm now running into two issues, the first issue only affects Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, whenever I click the "File" tab there is a short pause and then immediately pops an error and then crashes to the desktop.

File Tab Error Message:
Unhandled exception: C++ exception(object = 0x0033d8e0, type = 0x04fe8058) in 32-bit code (0x7b4511ec).
Register dump:
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
EIP:7b4511ec ESP:0033d1d4 EBP:0033d238 EFLAGS:00000216( - -- I -A-P- )
EAX:0033d1e0 EBX:00000000 ECX:00000008 EDX:0033d264
ESI:0f026018 EDI:0508ab7c

The Second issue is with OneNote 2016 - Everything seems to function fine except when I try to browse my accounts One Drive contents, which does show attached, I'm not able to browse any files.

Hi Wade,

I've got a couple of questions about your troubles with applications crashing. First, did you use the Office 365 crosstie to install? Second, what version of Office is installed? You can find that by opening an Office application (sounds like OneNote would be a good one for you since many are crashing) and navigating to File > Account > About <name of application>. It'd also be helpful to know which update channel you are on - this info will be listed in the same place.

As for OneDrive, we already have a bug tracking this issue. We have a developer looking into it, but no set timeline as to when it will be fixed.

Thanks!
Meredith

Hi,

I'm not sure if I used the Crosstie? When I installed my copy of office, I downloaded the latest installer from my O365 portal and then selected 'Install Application" in CXOffice and searched for "Microsoft Office 365" from there I just followed the wizard. What steps are required to use crosstie?

The version of OneNote that I'm using is "Microsoft OneNote for Office365 (16.0.12527.20260) 32-bit" OneNote doesn't show the Update Channel info but I believe beings I have an Office 365 ProPlus copy I am will be on the Semi-Annual Channel.

Also, in case it helps, I'm running PopOS 19.10.

Hi Wade,

Yup, you used the crosstie! Sorry for using that jargon on you - if you select an application from the list on the first screen of the installer, you're using a crosstie :)

Based on the version of Office you installed, it looks like you're on the semi-annual targeted channel, rather than the semi-annual channel. This is a little surprising to me, since our crosstie is set up to install on the semi-annual channel for all installers, including those that would default to other channels.

In any case, Microsoft made an update that was released on an earlier monthly channel that caused the exact issue you're seeing with Office applications crashing when you click "File." We already have a fix in place for CrossOver 20, and I've also uploaded a CrossOver 19 nightly build that should solve the problem. It can be found in https://www.codeweavers.com/xfer/Meredith/Office365nightly/ with password Office365. Could you please try it out and see if it works for you?

Thanks!
Meredith

Excellent! This resolved the File Tab crashing issue in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint! Thank you so much! They only other issue is with browsing One-Drive files from within Word or OneNote but sounds like you are aware of that already.

Thank you so much for providing the nightly build!

Hello, i have installed the latest nightly build provided in this thread but still experience the same issue.
I'm using the Microsoft crosstie installer with Crossover 1920200326 under Ubuntu 20.04.

Hello!
As I did not see this thread in time, and as I got the same issue, I uninstalled and re-installed office 365. I used the usual (for me) procedure:

• New windows 7 bottle;
  • Install internet explorer 7 (using cross-tier);
  • install internet explorer 8 (using cross-tier);
  • install office 365 (using cross-tier);
  • after all installation went ok, I quit the bottle.
  • Run word 365, open File menu, click on connect to account
  • Get a "temporary server error" window. No way to go past this.
    Office seems to work ok but cannot connect to my office account. I did not have this problem before re-installing office. It used to work ok, then started to crash when hitting the File menu, and finally after reinstallation, I got the account issue.
    Any clue or suggestion?

As this is a user forum, I decided to post the solution to my problem as a reply to my own post.
It took me by far longer to post the solution due to some issues with the server, than to find the solution itself. It was almost straightforward.

• First of all, download and install the nightly version of crossover from the link posted by @Meredith Johnson.
  • Install in a new Windows 7 bottle, using the relevant CrossTie, Office 365 32Bit. Use the setup.exe installer that you can download from office web site.
  • DO NOT INSTALL INTERNET EXPLORER. JUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.
  • After installation has finished, quit the bottle
  • Run Word 365
  • A blank window MAY open up. Wait patiently.
  • If after a couple of minutes the window stays blank, close it (hit the cross-shaped button at the top-right corner of the window)
  • A further window may appear asking you to accept a license. Accept it.
  • If the first window stayed blank and you force-closed it, than a warning will now appear, stating that your software is not licensed. Ignore it.
  • Hit the "File" tab, scroll down on the left pane, hit "Account".
  • In the panel that will open, hit "Access your accont"
  • A window will open. Be patient. Wait for it to show a dialog asking for your login
  • The window will be a bit messed-up. Don't worry: key-in your username
  • After getting your username, the dialog will ask for a password. Key it in.
  • After a few seconds you'll be in.
  • If the warning about your license is still sitting at the top of Word, just ignore it and close Word.
  • Re-open Word. The warning is gone (hopefully).

I hope This will help.
All the best

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS3lNRXZhc0dHQXNreDVBeSIsImdkcHIiOjB9