CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Display Color Depth Question

Hello!

First of all, I'm very new to this, so please have mercy and explain things to me like I'm five.

I successfully installed My Disney Kitchen (1995/2002) and set up the launcher. Everything works fine, except that when it actually opens, I'm prompted with

"My Disney Kitchen must be run in thousands or millions of colors (a 16 or 32 bit video mode). Please change your display settings. Choose 'OK' to return to Windows."

I'm using linux in developer mode on an intel Chromebook. I tried installing 32 bit support with the step-by-step instructions here:
https://www.linode.com/community/questions/19916/how-do-i-enable-32-bit-support-on-my-64-bit-os

It doesn't seem to have worked. Is there anything I can do to make this game actually run? I don't see any color depth or display options in this glorified-tablet's settings, so I'm pretty sure it'd have to be a linux prompt command of some sort.... otherwise, I also have wine installed, but couldn't figure out how to make it work, because no matter what I do no files actually appear under any path in browse. Not sure if I can access a Crossover bottle and run it through wine, or I'm completely misunderstanding this.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Sincerely,
A mom in way over her head trying to get a Mickey Mouse kitchen game working for a toddler

@Casi, the instructions you followed are for running legacy 32-bit SOFTWARE on a 64-bit Operating System (because formerly, processors were 32-bit, now, most processors are 64-bit).
What you need is to enable 16 bit video mode (thousands of colors) on a modern video card able to show 32 bit colors (millions of colors).
I did that once, some years ago, so that my kids could play iSpy. I will try to find out the procedure.

I remember I used the xrandr command. I don't remember the details, but I have found something here. It is not simple to understand, but you can try the commands provided in the link below. You will probably need to run them as super user. And since I did it some years ago, they may not still be compatible.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeepColourDepthSupportPlan

Good luck!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibWZYQU1rUHJOdEUzUHVTQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9