CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Running Office from Sway/Wayland

I use Sway with Crossover and it works fine except for Office 2016
When using Sway or Plasma Excel is barely usable due to latency/lag/slowness
Firing up Excel with over an X session with Plasma/i3/XFCE runs like a scalded dog...

Any idea what would be causing this? Incompatibility with XWayland ?

Thank you for posting this!

When I first got CrossOver, Office 2016 worked okay. Well enough that for quick edits, it was not worth booting a virtual machine.

Recently I got a new laptop and I was setuping it up fresh on Ubuntu 22.04, which defaults to Gnome on Wayland by default. And Office 2016 was unusable. I came here looking to post a support request and I saw this post. You are 100% correct, Office 2016 works great under X11, but it is unusable slow on Wayland.

I guess it is back to X11 for me!

I can confirm this with CrossOver 22 (and 21.2) with Office 2013~2016 on KDE Wayland. It's awfully slow.
Older Office version (2010 and lower) work normally on Wayland.

it is still extremely slow with latest 22.1.1

Dirk Hallen wrote:

it is still extremely slow with latest 22.1.1
applies to Office 2016, Office 2013 is still fast

Word, Access, Powerpoint, Excel effectively do not work

I have been using Crossover for Linux for more than 15 years. I used on my SuSe distro with MS office 2003 and Office 2007.

Since Jan 2023 I have bought Crossover for Linux mainly to run Microsoft office 365 applications under Ubuntu 22.04. It was working mostly OK (except for power point - it never worked fine), until about 2 months after the purchase. Since then I have reinstalled MS Office numerous times, I have re-installed CrossOver for Linux at least 2 times, and I have updated it to the latest version. But now the MS Office apps really do not work - there is a huge lag in reaction (about 30 seconds after I press a key, I get the letter on the screen), while I constantly get Linux system warning that says that the app is not responding, and should I wait it out or force quit... Several times I press to wait, until I see my pressed letter on the screen. In my account this is not working, and the money I paid are not spent well.

I contacted the support more than a month ago, and received no reasonable answer. So I am writing in every similar thread.

I read the forums here - they are full of the same complaints, while there are some workarounds none of them works...

Also switching to X11 is not an option for me.

And finally do not start me with the libre office BS - it is not even remotely compatible with MS Office 365...

Hi Angel,

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for you? I took a look at your ticket, and unfortunately, I don't have any new insights for you. Wine currently does not have good support for Wayland, which is something that is being worked on upstream, but we don't have any timeline on when work will be complete. Furthermore, it's definitely possible some of the issues are bugs in Wayland, which we have no control over.

As suggested by our support team, using X11 is the only currently available workaround. There's an X11/Wayland toggle on the login screen for Ubuntu. It's a little cumbersome, but if you want to use Wayland for everything else, you just need to log out and switch to X11 to use Office in CrossOver.

Best,
Meredith

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS3M4a2ZibmhuTHhuV3BibiIsImdkcHIiOjB9