CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't Download Adobe Applications—Is it possible to download/install/run with Crossover?

Somewhat confused by the current level of support for Adobe applications (I assumed there was no support at all, but hey, I could be wrong), I decided to attempt to install an Adobe application. However, no matter what I tried, I'd continually get this error when trying to download an Adobe application:

"Unable to Install Creative Cloud

Sorry, Creative Cloud won't run on your OS. To continue you'll have to upgrade.
See system requirements"

Of course, I am running the latest version of my distribution, so it's not possible for me to upgrade.

Is there a way of getting around this and at least being able to download the installer?

My solution was downloading it in a VM and putting it in a shared folder, and trying to install it from there. And no, it didn't work.

Hello James, I am confirming this problem that it does not seem possible to download any installer using Linux browsers. I am assuming that the Adobe website filters out download requests from Linux browsers or at least browsers who identify themselves running on Linux.

Changing the browser identification might help to access the download. I think I have seen this on some browsers.

Also in your second post you mentioned that finally got the installer but had no luck installing it. Would you mind sharing what is exactly happening when you run the .exe file?

Adobe assumes you are using Windows, but they can't determine the version, so they suppose you are using an old Windows version, but you are using Linux, in other words badly written web page.

I noticed that there are direct download links for the installers, though. For instance this is the Windows 7 32-bit installer: https://ccmdl.adobe.com/AdobeProducts/KCCC/CCD/4_9/win32/ACCCx4_9_0_504.zip

You can access all the installers in this page, by clicking on "Windows | Alternative downloads" drop-down text:
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

Good luck!

Maik Wagner wrote:

Also in your second post you mentioned that finally got the
installer but had no luck installing it. Would you mind sharing what
is exactly happening when you run the .exe file?

I tried the installer that @Silvio M Kozasa linked, and this is the result:

Like my attempts before, it just sits there, attempting to install the application, but nothing happens. I got a fatal error on one of my previous attempts. I'm trying to install it in a Windows 10 64-bit bottle.

In winehq.org, the app gets a mere bronze medal. Someone said there that it takes 4 minutes to login / logoff from the Adobe account. But that's with another version of wine than Crossover is probably using. Crossover aims for greater stability for a wider range of programs.

[quote=888281Like my attempts before, it just sits there, attempting to install the application, but nothing happens. I got a fatal error on one of my previous attempts. I'm trying to install it in a Windows 10 64-bit bottle.[/quote]

Silvio M Kozasa wrote:

In winehq.org, the app gets a mere bronze medal. Someone said there
that it takes 4 minutes to login / logoff from the Adobe account.
But that's with another version of wine than Crossover is probably
using. Crossover aims for greater stability for a wider range of
programs.

I tried the installation again and waited 20 minutes this time, but it still hangs with a blank screen. The report you're referring to appears to be from 2017, and was conducted using wine-staging 2.8. There's another AppDB listing for Adobe Creative Cloud 2021, with 4 reports using a more recent version of WINE (6.x), all saying that it hangs on install. Unfortunately, my experience is the same.

I don't think CodeWeavers has been focusing on improving compatibility specifically with Adobe applications for a few years, not that I necessarily blame them, as it's a constant moving target, but it is disappointing, of course. I voted for Affinity Photo in the compatibility database with the hopes that it would be easier to improve compatibility with that software than the monstrosity that is Adobe Creative Cloud. It at least seems to be getting further than Adobe, with workarounds.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYlhQRzlrU1RBV2N1YzNwWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9