CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Has CodeWeaver done anything for Fortnite's EAC or any support of anti-cheat recently?

I ask and starting this thread because I felt that it would be very important to discuss it.

Because I just got Fortnite to run on my current Linux distro, KDE Neon, with the latest 21.1.0 CrossOver, which is huge considering that many people were not able to get the game to run because of the implemented anti-cheat.

In CrossOver's current state, installing the Epic Games Launcher is pretty easy, just download the launcher from the website, and install it in a new Windows 10 64 bit bottle.

What I did after installing the launcher, was installing a whole bunch of framework software that I think might be important for games and softwares to run, this included dotnet (2.0 to 4.8, anything that can be installed in 64bit), and the Visual C++ Redistributable (2005-2017). I did something similar with Origin back when beta testing CrossOver 19.0, which now works out of the box.

So back to FN. I can get into a match, but there is a LOT of lag, and after a while, the game crashes. But this is still something, as now there is potential for an out of box support of anti-cheat softwares in CrossOver and WINE in general, after some polishes and tweaks, I'm sure.

Here is the tricky part, make sure you enable DXVK Vulkan backend for DX11, or FN will have major graphical errors including flickering, but make sure you disable it if you want to look at the Epic Game Launcher, with DXVK Vulkan stuff enabled, the launcher UI will flicker.

After FN crashes, there might be a chance that in the launcher, it is shown to be stuck as "Running", even after you simulated a system reboot and exiting the launcher. To resolve this, open your CrossOver program, and go to the bottle that you installed the launcher in, and use task manager to find something like that starts with a "CrashReport" in the process tab, and FN should become able to launch again.

One last thing, do not touch "Windowless Fullscreen", I tried switching it to Fullscreen, it messed with my monitor setup. I have a laptop hooked onto a secondary display, but I have the laptop screen disabled and only using my distro on my secondary display, when I tried to switch to Fullscreen in FN, the game automatically switched to my laptop screen, and froze, after a while, the game crashed anyway, but it didn't revert back to my secondary display. I had to manually set it up all over again.

Just tested another application within Epic Launcher, Spellbreak

This game is kind of a different setup with the anti-cheat. From my understanding, FN uses EAC as a dependency to be able to run in the first place, if EAC does not run, the game will not run at all. This is most likely the reason why FN was not able to run in WINE/CrossOver for a very long time, because EAC simply doesn't run, until today with my test. I had seen earlier tests where people actually got FN to run in WINE 2.6, but the reports stopped there on WineHQ, as that is most likely when Epic Games implement the anti-cheat in FN. Reports here in CrossOver Compatibility Center before my review was not promising either.

With Spellbreak, it seemed like the anti-cheat was hard baked into the game itself, from my tests, I can boot up the game just fine, it shows the logos (Unreal Engine etc), but as soon as you get to the home screen, an error message will pop up saying failed to initiate something related to anti-cheat, and warning you that online play may be unavailable. This however, doesn't mean you can't play the game, there is a Practice mode, which I can enter without any errors. You can try to go to an online match, and the farthest I got was the lobby before a game starts, then I was immediately kicked out with a message saying "Failed to connect to Spellbreak servers".

Same thing with FN, enable DXVK Vulkan stuff for in-game 3D models to display correctly, but keep in mind of what I said about the launcher UI before.

Also start this game in Window mode, you can "fake" full screen it with F11, for KDE desktop at least. Setting it to actual fullscreen will once again, break the monitor display setup, also use the keyboard to help you navigate the home screen UI

With all this being said, I kind of wanted to know if the CW devs are aware that there might be hope for anti-cheat software support, especially that I was able to get into FN to play for a little bit before a crash, the fact that I was able to play at all, means that the EAC anti-cheat actually ran in the WINE compatibility layer, even for a little bit.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicVl3Qm14d3l5NWhHdXNCOCIsImdkcHIiOjB9