CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Where to install Microsoft .NET Framework?

Hi all,
I'm trying to install DigiCamControll, an app to remotely control a camera, and it requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.6.

I have two questions:

1. WHERE do I have to install .net Framework? In Windows 7 bottle? or in DigiCamControl Bottle? Or where else?

2. Every attempt made has failed because the installer tries to install .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 and it sticks on downloading (both installing from Microsoft download or Crossover compatibility list). Any suggestion?

Thanks

Hi there,

If an app requires .NET, the best solution is to install .NET into a new bottle first (choosing whatever bottle type the app needs) and then installing the application into that same bottle that .NET is already installed in.

If .NET installs are getting stuck consistently when installing through CrossOver, you can try clearing your installer cache in CrossOver Preferences and seeing if that helps.

Best,
Meredith

Thanks for answering; now it is clear.
Crossover asks to select a bottle in which install Framework bottle (I choose Windows 7). Is this correct?

Unfortunately, the Framework installation does not work. I have one file (.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2) that shows as downloading but it never ends this process. Is it so large that requires hours to complete download? All other file downloaded and installed without problems.
I cleared the cache before starting installation, but it seems the file itself has a problem

Hi again,

Ah, I see the problem: the download link we were using for .NET 2.0 sp2 is no longer working. I have updated it, and it should be working tomorrow.

Best,
Meredith

Hi Meredith,
thank you for your help.

Today I was able to download the .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 file; however, when the installation process begins, the error message "Unable to find a volume for file extraction; verify that you have the proper permission" is generated. This happened for .NET Framework 4.8 and 4.6.2.
I'm trying to install .NET Framework in the Windows 7 bottle.

Also tried using Framework 4.o installer downloaded from Microsoft with same result.

Any further suggestion?

Thanks again
Vittorio

P.S.: can you lease move this thread into CrossoOver MacOS forum? I posted it in the wrong location. Tks

Hi there,

We are not able to reproduce those issues. I imagine you already cleared your installer cache, but if you didn't, I'd recommend trying that. Otherwise, this is likely a network issue or an issue with your file system :/

Best,
Meredith

Hi Meredith,

I was able to install .NET Framework 4.7.2 in the Windows 7 64-bit bottle, not in the Windows 7 bottle.

However, the application DigiCamControl still crash and reports the error "Specified cast is not valid"

Thank you
Vittorio

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNXB3d3U4U0hSWnF0S2M3dCIsImdkcHIiOjB9