CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Install error - unable to install crossover on Ubuntu guest OS

Hello C.W. team;
I am new to your software and am attempting to install on Ubuntu, such that I can run Office365. My setup is as follows
Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS running as guest OS on VMware Workstation 16.2.3 build 19376536 (2 processors, 8GB memory)
host OS = Win10 Enterprise 21H2 (Intel Core i5-3470 CPU with 32GB memory)
after download the "trial" version -- crossover_21.2.0-1.deb and double clicking to install
I receive the following error message "Unable to install crossover: Error while installing package: unable to open '/opt/cxoffice/lib/-wine/cacls.exe.dpkg-new'
Looking for any guidance as to what I need to do differently for a successful installation.
Kindest Regards and thanks in advance - B-

OK, so I have some additional information. The system upon which I am attempting to install the software, has Microsoft Defender for Endpoint / Linux installed upon it. I just noticed that MDE has detected this install package as containing the Ulise malware, and therefore prevented installation. Please confirm the integrity of this install package.

Brian Brotschi wrote:

OK, so I have some additional information. The system upon which I am attempting to install the software, has Microsoft Defender for Endpoint / Linux installed upon it. I just noticed that MDE has detected this install package as containing the Ulise malware, and therefore prevented installation. Please confirm the integrity of this install package.

Hi there,

Yes, I can confirm that CrossOver does not contain any viruses. For more info about false positives with antivirus software, please see here: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/bitdefender

Best,
Meredith

Brian Brotschi wrote:

Hi, Brian! It seems to me that you are new to Linux. It is... uncommon to use Microsoft Defender on a Linux installation. Unless you do some things like running software from non-official repositories, an antivirus is not really necessary. That said, I use ClamAV, which is free and open-source. Microsoft Defender does a reasonable job, but seems to often report false positives. Also I would prefer other AV software than MS Defender.. Crossover is very safe. Even if you use some infected program under Crossover, it would most likely be restricted to the bottle it belongs.

I hope you soon will be doing what I do, which is the best security solution, IMHO. I use a Linux installation and run most Windows software with Crossover and other Wine derivatives. For a few still incompatible programs, I use a Virtualbox VM running Windows 10.

Best regards and welcome to the Linux world!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVmNtOVM2SEs0WWI2UnNyYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9