CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover 20.0.0.2 fails to run because of missing Python module

Since I upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04, Crossover Office fails to run
due to some missing Python module:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/cxconfig.py", line 15, in <module>
    from collections import MutableMapping
ImportError: cannot import name 'MutableMapping' from 'collections' (/usr/lib/python3.10/collections/__init__.py)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover", line 169, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover", line 147, in main
    import checkreq
  File "/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/checkreq.py", line 5, in <module>
    import cxdiag
  File "/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/cxdiag.py", line 10, in <module>
    import cxconfig
  File "/opt/cxoffice/lib/python/cxconfig.py", line 18, in <module>
    from UserDict import DictMixin as MutableMapping
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'UserDict'

I don't know much python so I am kind of lost here.
Apparently the Abstract Collections Classes have been removed
from Python3.9 onwards according to https://stackoverflow.com/a/59636876.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, Tobias,

Have you checked your APT for broken dependencies? I'm using Kubuntu 22.04 and my Crossover is running fine.

Hi there,

CrossOver 20 is not compatible with Ubuntu 22.04; you'll need to upgrade CrossOver.

Best,
Meredith

Same here using Kubuntu 22.04 and Crossover 22.0 but OP is trying to use an older version of CO.

I have the same problem. I understand that I need to by another version of CO to stay current.
For now though I just want to remove CO.

How do you remove it? There are the same python errors when attempting command line removal. Removal does not complete.
sudo dpkg -P --force-all crossover

Does not work.

Yeah, not cool. My Crossover Office is completely broken, can't uninstall, can't reinstall, can't use any Crossover applications since my upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04. Codeweavers needs to issue a fix for this; this is highly irresponsible.

I get it, you don't want to support old software for decades, but this is really shortsighted.

Hi there,

Well, we do have a fix for running CrossOver on newer Ubuntu versions; the fix is just in CrossOver 22. CrossOver 20 is two years old, and we can't anticipate what changes various distros will make in the future; we can only make changes for new CrossOver releases to ensure compatibility.

Best,
Meredith

I confirm this problem. CodeWeavers should give Linux users with 20.0.X a complementary upgrade.

I can also confirm that if you install XO 20.0.X on Ubuntu 22.04 you will not be able to remove it using the uninstaller package. I had to do a complete reinstall of Ubuntu.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibkJhVFNTVzNWOU5WeE1BTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9