CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Hide wine version from program

I use a special program called rekordbox for file tagging and management for some audio hardware I have. I know that this software has integrated checks for wine, specifically the version that is running. Is there a way to hide the wine version like you can with a wine-staging build?
Note that this is not an app specific request, but a configuration question.

Also is there a way to disable linux distribution checks? I'm on gentoo and the ui is incredibly slow due to this.
Any help/advice is appreciated, thanks!

Hi Theo,

The CrossOver had previously entertained the idea of adding that patch from Wine Staging, but we decided we didn't want to go down the route of intentionally working around deliberate behavior on the part of the developers of applications that don't want their software running with WIne.

Best,
Meredith

I convicted believe that there should be a configuration option that would allow the user to hide the "wine" condition. It is OK if the default is not to hide this information, but the user is who should decide what he wants.

Silvio M Kozasa wrote:

I convicted believe that there should be a configuration option that would allow the user to hide the "wine" condition. It is OK if the default is not to hide this information, but the user is who should decide what he wants.

The CrossOver team is not interested in incurring the wrath of software developers who have deliberately chosen to not allow their applications to run with Wine.

Meredith

Hi, Meredith!

Thanks for the reply. I understand and respect that.

In that case, I believe there should be some way to let the user know that the application is not working because of that. Sometimes we spend too much time trying to make an application work without success. Knowing that the developer will not allow it to run through "wine" would be of great help. We would not spend time trying to make it work.

Thanks, again!

The CrossOver team is not interested in incurring the wrath of software developers who have deliberately chosen to not allow their applications to run with Wine.

Meredith

I appreciate your response. Such a shame that developers are going out of their way to make stuff not work with wine, even after spending $4000 on their hardware!
Anyways this project is awesome and thank you for all that you do!

Silvio M Kozasa wrote:

Hi, Meredith!

Thanks for the reply. I understand and respect that.

In that case, I believe there should be some way to let the user know that the application is not working because of that. Sometimes we spend too much time trying to make an application work without success. Knowing that the developer will not allow it to run through "wine" would be of great help. We would not spend time trying to make it work.

Thanks, again!

Hi Silvio,

I don't think we have a way of easily identifying which programs have been developed to not run with Wine :/

Best,
Meredith

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOFZMWnZiOXR3SHl3Z1pVdSIsImdkcHIiOjB9