CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Latency Issue with Guitar Pro 8 [crossover 22] [asio driver]

I recently bought crossover 22 and guitar pro 8 to run it on Linux Mint 21. It works rather well except when I try to use the line in option to use
the sound of an effect chain there is a noticeable latency. I get the warning: "The current audio configuration introduces latency. To enjoy optimal performances, it is recommended to use an ASIO driver." I tried to solve this by installing the "universal windows asio driver" from https://asio4all.org/ in the Guitar Pro 8 bottle, but even though the install seems to succeed, I keep getting the warning above. How can I make guitar pro/the crossover system to use the ASIO driver?

kind regards,
Hugo

I suspect ASIO is not relevant here.

ASIO is a set of low-level drivers in Windows which bypasses the normal Windows audio subsystem, which is notorious for poor latency. Compare this to the Linux world it is roughly equivalent to ALSA. In both cases, the drivers talk to the audio interface hardware and are hardware specific.

Any time you are using Wine with audio you will, ultimately, be using ALSA as that is what talks to the hardware. Any driver you use in Windows has to sit on top of ALSA and, thus, it cannot talk to the audio interface hardware directly. And, thus, it cannot work.

What I'm not sure of is what the best solution for this is. I suspect your issue is that Wine is using Pulseaudio (which is also notorious for poor latency) and, ideally, you need to get Wine talking directly to ALSA instead. You can give this a try:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/Diag/NonPulseAudioAlsa

Cheers,

Keith

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWWdRV0ZXdFdWTFlRWU4zRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9