CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover apps show fonts disabled by font-manager

Dear readers,

this is on Ubuntu 22.04 with Crossover Linux 22.0.1:
I have disabled fonts which I do not use by means of font-manager so that these fonts do not show up in the font menus of native Linux apps such as LibreOffice or Gimp. However, these settings are ignored by Windows apps running under Crossover Linux, e. g. Microsoft Office 2010 or 365. All fonts known to the system show up, which makes working with the font menus in Word inconvenient.
Disabling of fonts by font-manager works by adding a file ~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d/78-Reject.conf, which is the place for configuration of fontconfig on the user level. Obviously Crossover Linux does not read it by default. Which font related config files does Crossover Linux use in order to present fonts to apps such as MS Office? How can I make Crossover apps aware of my font choice?
Thanks for helpful hints in advance!
Tobias

Why don't you go to the '/usr/share/fonts' and the '~/home/.fonts' directories, and move the fonts you don't use to some other directory where they can be restored if you need them in the future? If you want to go that far, write a simple bash script to move them in and out of the font directories.
Linux font managers do not actually delete them; they hide them from the Linux applications. Font managers must be running in the background to work. If they are shut down, the fonts are visible again; the font files aren't truly moved or deleted.
Windows programs themselves are looking at the Windows font folder. If Crossover (I don't know the inner workings of Crossover/Wine, so I'm no authority on it) points the Windows applications to the actual Linux font directories and the '.../drive_c/windows/Fonts' folder under the .cxoffice directory, the Windows application is not going to understand that a font manager has hidden those fonts.

Dear Andrew,
thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. There are 317 fonts present here, most of which were installed by OS. Moving around 250 font files seems to me quite tedious, because the names are sometimes very similar apart from some suffix, as in the case of Noto fonts. This makes a simple bash script rather difficult, too, I believe.
However, as you pointed out and as I have written in my first post, font-manager did not delete the fonts, but they hide them by writing a file of rejected fonts. This file is read by fontconfig such that the rejected fonts do not turn up in the font menus of LibreOffice, Gimp or Inkscape, to name a few native Linux apps. In some way Crossover Linux collects information of available fonts. If this is done by fontconfig, as seems to be the case according to some posts with respect to Crossover and Wine, then I hoped for some user friendly method to hide fonts currently not used.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiN25BWFdjWEJLbUJBVGZLVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9