CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

macOS Big Sur compatibility?

CrossOver 20 will support Big Sur.

No, it does not. This is a message I got from CodeWeavers. See below, they want me to install the old version back onto mac but that's so hard I can't do it and now all applications I had using crossover I cant use them:

On 28 Jul 2020, at 20:23, Ryan Abhiram mac-support@crossover.codeweavers.com wrote:

Hello,

Because it's beta software and not stable it's is prone to updates for testing. Apple pushed the beta 3 update recently which caused this problem. If you want to resume functionality, you will need to revert macOS Catalina.

Regards,
Codeweavers Support

--
Ticket 1267186
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=1267186

Jeremy Newman wrote:

Will Crossover 20 work with Apple Silicon Macs?

The Silicon computers will be like the ipad and the iphone, so I doubt it.

I would wait for Codeweavers' response before making any assumptions about Apple Silicon. As Jeremy mentioned, the next version of CrossOver (version 20) will work with Big Sur. Whether that only works with the Intel-based version of Big Sur is just conjecture at this point. None of us, outside of Codeweavers, have that information.

Since Apple Silicon-based Macs will have Rosetta 2 to run Intel-based applications, that might well allow CrossOver to still work. However, if I were Codeweavers, I would be planning for what happens when Apple removes Rosetta 2 from a future OS. To me, it seems obvious it is there to allow the Intel-based Mac apps to run until they have either been recompiled (or rewritten) to run natively or Apple decides it has been too many years and any remaining Intel-based apps will just stop working when they remove Rosetta 2.

Unless Apple gives a public commitment to Rosetta 2 (doubtful), I would guess it would remain for 2-3 years after the Mac lineup has completely moved to Apple Silicon.

Bob

Bob Carpenter wrote:

Since Apple Silicon-based Macs will have Rosetta 2 to run
Intel-based applications, that might well allow CrossOver to still
work.

It might be able to run CrossOver, but you won't be able to run any Windows apps with it.

Rosetta 2 is a binary translator. It takes Mac Intel binaries, which have to be in a very specific format, and translates them to Mac Arm binaries – before running them.

This whole process can't work for Windows binaries running with Crossover/Wine, for two reasons:

1. Windows binaries don't have the correct binary format.
  2. macOS/Rosetta probably won't even recognise them, as the operating system does not see them as executable binaries.

Simon Janich wrote:

Bob Carpenter wrote:

Since Apple Silicon-based Macs will have Rosetta 2 to
run Intel-based applications, that might well allow CrossOver to
still work.

Rosetta 2 is a binary translator. It takes Mac Intel binaries, which
have to be in a very specific format, and translates them to Mac Arm
binaries – before running them.

Point taken. If you rely on CrossOver, I definitely wouldn’t buy an Apple Silicon Mac and expect it to work. I still stand by my first sentence though. Only CodeWeavers knows if they can get it to work. If there’s no way to translate the Intel instructions to ARM, then that’s it for CrossOver.

I thought I saw that CodeWeavers has a transition kit. If so, they probably are getting an idea of whether it’s even possible.

In my case, I’ve already been planning for life after CrossOver. I have two Windows applications that I use. I’m trying to find either command-line equivalents or macOS-native applications. I realize that many people rely on CrossOver for critical applications. That is not the case for me.

Bob C

Jeremy Newman wrote:

Is there any Alpha/Beta version coming soon?

A beta for Crossover 20 is soon to be released for testing, yes

Simon Janich wrote:

Rosetta 2 is a binary translator. It takes Mac Intel binaries, which
have to be in a very specific format, and translates them to Mac Arm
binaries – before running them.

This is a happy path, there's also JIT. In case of CrossOver the JIT path will be utilized for Windows code (which it's actually already done to achieve 32on64).

Apple lists only small limitations really:

What Can't Be Translated?

Rosetta can translate most Intel-based apps, including apps that
contain just-in-time (JIT) compilers. However, Rosetta doesn’t
translate the following executables:

• Kernel extensions
  • Virtual Machine apps that virtualize x86_64 computer platforms

In other words I wouldn't worry about Apple Silicon. CrossOver is not special in any way here, if coded properly (and I'm sure it is ;)) to check for instructions available.

We have Apple Silicon in house and have been working on it. We cannot guarantee 20.0.0 will work, since we will probably have it out before any of these new Macs are publicly available.

Alan wrote:

Jeremy Newman wrote:

Will Crossover 20 work with Apple Silicon Macs?

1 to 12 of 12

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOXNjcjNieHdHVFBoOXhFbiIsImdkcHIiOjB9