CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover 22 - How do I remove uninstalled applications from my shortcuts?

This is what it looks like in one of my bottles. The problem is Mozilla Firefox, Opera, PDF-Viewer, and Foxit Reader were all uninstalled ages ago, and I can't get those bloody icons to go away! How am I supposed to remove these?

Hi there,

There's actually no way to remove those. Our official recommendation is to install each app into its own bottle: if you do this, you can simply delete bottles if you no longer need the installed app.

Best,
Meredith

I'm afraid it's a bit late for that. The current version of Crossover creates new bottles that make it impossible to print pdfs using Chummer 5a. So I'm stuck using duplicates of my older bottles created under Crossover 21 (which somehow still work)of it just to retain the functionality. I opened a ticket about this but have yet to hear anything back.

I found the answer.

The file path is

Under the Bottle you need desktopdata > cxmenu > and then you'll find the file cxmenu_macosx.plist

Open cxmenu_macosx.plist in Text Edit. It will look something like this:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
  <key>CrossOver-5A6050D1-43AC-434B-966E-E1231C82D60C/</key>
  <dict>
    <key>Description</key>
    <string>Chummer</string>
    <key>Children</key>
    <dict>
      <key>StartMenu/</key>
      <dict>
        <key>Children</key>
        <dict>
          <key>Windows Applications/</key>
          <dict>
            <key>Localize</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Icon</key>
            <string>/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/share/icons/256x256/cxmenu.png</string>
            <key>RobustIcon</key>
            <string>%CX_ROOT%/share/icons/256x256/cxmenu.png</string>
            <key>Children</key>
            <dict>
              <key>Chummer</key>
              <dict>
                <key>Icon</key>
                <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/AFED_Chummer5.0.icns</string>
                <key>RobustIcon</key>
                <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/AFED_Chummer5.0.icns</string>
                <key>Command</key>
                <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_users_crossover_Start^2BMenu/Chummer.lnk&quot;</string>
                <key>RawPath</key>
                <string>StartMenu.C^3A_users_crossover_Start+Menu/Chummer.lnk</string>
              </dict>
              <key>PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/</key>
              <dict>
                <key>Icon</key>
                <string>/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/share/icons/256x256/cxmenu.png</string>
                <key>RobustIcon</key>
                <key>Children</key>
                <dict>
                  <key>PDF-Viewer</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/C055_PDFXCview.0.icns</string>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/C055_PDFXCview.0.icns</string>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start^2BMenu/Programs/PDF-XChange+PDF+Viewer/PDF-Viewer.lnk&quot;</string>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                    <string>StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/PDF-Viewer.lnk</string>
                  </dict>
                  <key>PDF-Viewer Users Manual</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/298B_PDFVwrManSm.0.icns</string>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/298B_PDFVwrManSm.0.icns</string>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start^2BMenu/Programs/PDF-XChange+PDF+Viewer/PDF-Viewer+Users+Manual.lnk&quot;</string>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                    <string>StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/PDF-Viewer Users Manual.lnk</string>
                  </dict>
                  <key>PDF-Viewer License</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/8E13_PDFVLicense.0.icns</string>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/8E13_PDFVLicense.0.icns</string>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start^2BMenu/Programs/PDF-XChange+PDF+Viewer/PDF-Viewer+License.lnk&quot;</string>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                    <string>StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/PDF-Viewer License.lnk</string>
                  </dict>
                  <key>Uninstall</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/02A2_unins000.0.icns</string>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/02A2_unins000.0.icns</string>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start^2BMenu/Programs/PDF-XChange+PDF+Viewer/Uninstall.lnk&quot;</string>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                    <string>StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/Uninstall.lnk</string>
                  </dict>
                  <key>Tracker Updater</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/6895_TrackerUpdate.0.icns</string>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/6895_TrackerUpdate.0.icns</string>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start^2BMenu/Programs/PDF-XChange+PDF+Viewer/Tracker+Updater.lnk&quot;</string>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                    <string>StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/Tracker Updater.lnk</string>
                  </dict>
                </dict>
              </dict>
              <key>Chrome Company</key>
              <dict>
                <key>Command</key>
                <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_users_crossover_Start^2BMenu/Chrome+Company.lnk&quot;</string>
                <key>RawPath</key>
                <string>StartMenu.C^3A_users_crossover_Start+Menu/Chrome Company.lnk</string>
              </dict>
            </dict>
          </dict>
        </dict>
      </dict>
    </dict>
  </dict>
  </dict>
</plist>

This file, in simple terms, tells Crossover what programs to populate the list with and where to find those programs.

If I want to remove that annoying "Uninstal", I simply locate the following entry in the above file and delete it:

<key>Uninstall</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/02A2_unins000.0.icns</string>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start^2BMenu/Programs/PDF-XChange+PDF+Viewer/Uninstall.lnk&quot;</string>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                    <string>StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/Uninstall.lnk</string>
                  </dict>

As soon as the file is saved, Crossover recognizes the change and will remove the program from the list.

To anyone who finds this on a search looking for the same answer I had to find out, be advised that I have NO IDEA what kind of side-effects this might have. This is, presumably, not something I'm supposed to be doing. Back up your bottle before attempting anything like this.

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi there,

There's actually no way to remove those. Our official recommendation is to install each app into its own bottle: if you do this, you can simply delete bottles if you no longer need the installed app.

Best,
Meredith

Are you telling me that I just spent seventy-four US Dollars on software that doesn't allow you to press the "delete" key and remove an item from a list? The list is permanent? Is this what my teachers warned me about when they were talking about my permanent record?

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi there,

Best,
Meredith

Teksura wrote:

I found the answer.

The file path is

Under the Bottle you need desktopdata > cxmenu > and then you'll find the file cxmenu_macosx.plist

Open cxmenu_macosx.plist in Text Edit. It will look something like this:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
  <key>CrossOver-5A6050D1-43AC-434B-966E-E1231C82D60C/</key>
  <dict>
    <key>Description</key>
    <string>Chummer</string>
    <key>Children</key>
    <dict>
      <key>StartMenu/</key>
      <dict>
        <key>Children</key>
        <dict>
          <key>Windows Applications/</key>
          <dict>
            <key>Localize</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Icon</key>
            <key>RobustIcon</key>
            <key>Children</key>
            <dict>
              <key>Chummer</key>
              <dict>
                <key>Icon</key>
                <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/AFED_Chummer5.0.icns</string>
                <key>RobustIcon</key>
                <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/AFED_Chummer5.0.icns</string>
                <key>Command</key>
                <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_users_crossover_Start^2BMenu/Chummer.lnk&quot;</string>
                <key>RawPath</key>
                <string>StartMenu.C^3A_users_crossover_Start+Menu/Chummer.lnk</string>
              </dict>
              <key>PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/</key>
              <dict>
                <key>Icon</key>
                <key>RobustIcon</key>
                <key>Children</key>
                <dict>
                  <key>PDF-Viewer</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/C055_PDFXCview.0.icns</string>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/C055_PDFXCview.0.icns</string>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start^2BMenu/Programs/PDF-XChange+PDF+Viewer/PDF-Viewer.lnk&quot;</string>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                    <string>StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/PDF-Viewer.lnk</string>
                  </dict>
                  <key>PDF-Viewer Users Manual</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/298B_PDFVwrManSm.0.icns</string>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/298B_PDFVwrManSm.0.icns</string>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start^2BMenu/Programs/PDF-XChange+PDF+Viewer/PDF-Viewer+Users+Manual.lnk&quot;</string>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                    <string>StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/PDF-Viewer Users Manual.lnk</string>
                  </dict>
                  <key>PDF-Viewer License</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/8E13_PDFVLicense.0.icns</string>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/8E13_PDFVLicense.0.icns</string>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start^2BMenu/Programs/PDF-XChange+PDF+Viewer/PDF-Viewer+License.lnk&quot;</string>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                    <string>StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/PDF-Viewer License.lnk</string>
                  </dict>
                  <key>Uninstall</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                  </dict>
                  <key>Tracker Updater</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <string>/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/windata/cxmenu/icons/6895_TrackerUpdate.0.icns</string>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <string>%WINEPREFIX%/windata/cxmenu/icons/6895_TrackerUpdate.0.icns</string>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start^2BMenu/Programs/PDF-XChange+PDF+Viewer/Tracker+Updater.lnk&quot;</string>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                    <string>StartMenu.C^3A_ProgramData_Microsoft_Windows_Start+Menu/Programs/PDF-XChange PDF Viewer/Tracker Updater.lnk</string>
                  </dict>
                </dict>
              </dict>
              <key>Chrome Company</key>
              <dict>
                <key>Command</key>
                <string>&quot;/Users/teksura/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Chummer/desktopdata/cxmenu/StartMenu.C^5E3A_users_crossover_Start^2BMenu/Chrome+Company.lnk&quot;</string>
                <key>RawPath</key>
                <string>StartMenu.C^3A_users_crossover_Start+Menu/Chrome Company.lnk</string>
              </dict>
            </dict>
          </dict>
        </dict>
      </dict>
    </dict>
  </dict>
  </dict>
</plist>

This file, in simple terms, tells Crossover what programs to populate the list with and where to find those programs.

If I want to remove that annoying "Uninstal", I simply locate the following entry in the above file and delete it:

<key>Uninstall</key>
                  <dict>
                    <key>Icon</key>
                    <key>RobustIcon</key>
                    <key>Command</key>
                    <key>RawPath</key>
                  </dict>

As soon as the file is saved, Crossover recognizes the change and will remove the program from the list.

To anyone who finds this on a search looking for the same answer I had to find out, be advised that I have NO IDEA what kind of side-effects this might have. This is, presumably, not something I'm supposed to be doing. Back up your bottle before attempting anything like this.

I recommend implementing this feature in a future update.

Easy fix is going to yourusername/ Applications/ CrossOver and delete unwanted/ old icons

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWkJkV3pVQTVUVUY5dDM1ZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9