CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam won't launch at all anymore

Hello dear people,

hopefully one of you can track down what issue here is since it seems like I am the first one who has it like this.

I honestly don't know what exactly happened. Steam used to work just fine but after a third launch, Steam just refuses to launch anymore. To be more specific: I launch Steam -> "Updating Steam" -> "Connecting Steam account" -> then Steam crashes immediately.

I installed Steam through CrossOver UI - no manual installation. I reinstalled Steam and CrossOver many times, made sure everything is deleted but no luck anymore - Steam refuses to launch anymore.

The entire log can be found here.

Cheers

I have the exact same issue and have tried multiple fixes as suggested in the forums and nothing seems to be working. As soon as I sign in and Steam checks for updates, it crashes, no error message or anything, just poof, it's closed.

This is super frustrating as I'm sick with Covid and just want to mindlessly play Skyrim for a few hours :(

That's odd. I just tried running Steam right now from the UI (no custom install) and it runs just fine. Which CrossOver version and macOS version are you running?

Hi Sergio,

I'm using Crossover 22.01 and have a MacBook Pro, M1 2020 running Ventura 13.1.

Everything was working fine until yesterday. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling just the Steam bottle as well as Crossover itself and nothing seems to work. Super frustrating :(

Experiencing the exact same issue - Steam will not load. Re-installation via UI does not solve. Happened after an update to Steam client on 2/2/2023.

Had the same issue. Found answer in another thread. Try reinstalling steam thru the crossover install wizard

Yeah, I've installed Steam a few times and it hasn't worked for me.

Didn't work for me either. I cleaned the CrossOver folder in Application Support, and also tried removing everything from CrossOver using AppCleaner.

Could it be some problem with the bottle? Have you tried installing Steam via UI in a new bottle?

As I said in the main post, I installed Steam through CrossOver UI - no manual installation. I tried to use different bottles, no luck.

from yesterday after Steam update I have the same problem: Steam crashes after update and trying to login. Today I downloaded crossover RC 22.1, reinstalled Steam in a new bottle and it worked for one single time, then same crash again. I've tried steam 32bit and 64bit on win 7 bottle. i'm using Macbook pro intel i5 with Ventura 13.2

Same problem here.

macOS Ventura 13.2.1
CrossOver 22.1
M1 Max
Brand new Steam bottle

After logging in, the "Connecting Steam account" dialog comes up, it says "Updating Steam information", then it crashes, never to be seen again. Task Manager shows 99% CPU usage, even after simulated reboot.

Have tried every suggestion I've seen with no difference in outcome.

UPDATE!
I usually use Steam at home with my MacBook Pro 13" 2019 connected to external monitor. With this configuration I get into the problem (Steam won't start anymore). Today I noticed that starting Steam without connecting my MacBook to the monitor the application works! No crash... That can be helpful to solve this problem??

Toredane wrote:

UPDATE!
I usually use Steam at home with my MacBook Pro 13" 2019 connected to external monitor. With this configuration I get into the problem (Steam won't start anymore). Today I noticed that starting Steam without connecting my MacBook to the monitor the application works! No crash... That can be helpful to solve this problem??

Yup, that's it! And once Steam is launched it looks like then I can then connect the external monitor without it crashing...

Glad I’m not the only one. This is exactly what happened to me: disconnecting external monitor solved it.

1 to 15 of 15

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic3ZlOE10SDZ1YVF5ekhKOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9