CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Not Quite Doing Its Job

Hi.
I'm a newcomer to Macs, having just bought a new Studio, running the latest version of Ventura, and so also new to Crossover (running the free version).
My problem is that I can create a bottle containing my target PC programs, BUT...

1. Once the Bottle is created (and the software contents listed under Bottle Details - Installed Software) the main window insists 'No applications were found in this bottle'.
  2. When I set up a command line to run the program (which actually works fine), if I click on 'Save command as a launcher' the only effect it has is to change the colur of the buttom. No launcher is created.

As you can imagine, I'm a bit doubtful about spending my money on what to me appears ropey software - or is it some Ventura protection ... but if so, what?
Has anyone else had these problems?
Cam you tell me "You fool. This is what you do?"
I'd be very grateful (not about you calling me a fool).
Cheers.
PS. Sorry. In case I get dinged and told to contact support, I already have done and, after a few days back and forth, he was a mystified as me.

To be sincere I never had any kind of problem and even if theres always some kind of "worktodo" the app is pretty much plug & play, but having said that could you please provide further information about your problem?

Bottle created ( Win version and 32/64bits)
Mac configuration (its just one M1 ultra max?)
MacOs version (guess 13.3.1)
Software you are trying to run

This is not an official technical support but there are plenty of user who will gladly help you out!

Hi Israel.
Thanks for your interest.
In reply to your questions

1. I've tried various combinations of Win7 and Win 10, both 32 bit and 64 bit. Currently Win 10/64 bit
  2. Running M1 max.
  3. Correct. 13.3.1 (although I first started with 13.3.0 then hoped the update might solve my problems. It made no difference)
  4. Family Historian 7 ( first using an archived copy from one of the Crossover guys then my own generated bottle)
    and SoftOrbits Sketch Drawer (although I wasn't sure dependancies for the Soft Orbits software).

It's a bit frustrating since it all nearly works.
Although I've no evidence for saying so, my gut feeling is that it's being blocked by some protection somewhere ... but it's just my hunch.

James Hogg wrote:

Hi Israel.
Thanks for your interest.
In reply to your questions

1. I've tried various combinations of Win7 and Win 10, both 32 bit and 64 bit. Currently Win 10/64 bit
  2. Running M1 max.
  3. Correct. 13.3.1 (although I first started with 13.3.0 then hoped the update might solve my problems. It made no difference)
  4. Family Historian 7 ( first using an archived copy from one of the Crossover guys then my own generated bottle)
    and SoftOrbits Sketch Drawer (although I wasn't sure dependancies for the Soft Orbits software).

It's a bit frustrating since it all nearly works.
Although I've no evidence for saying so, my gut feeling is that it's being blocked by some protection somewhere ... but it's just my hunch.

Hi there,

Well I tried to install Family Historian 7 and even if the WebView2 failed to install and some errors popped I managed to install the whole thing in a win 10 64 bits bottle without problems, a couple of screens:

To make it clear I just clicked "install", clicked on "install unlisted application" (its on the top right of the app) then searched the "install_fh7.0.20.0.exe" installer on my download folder and selected the kind of bottle I wanted.

Regarding sketch drawer, did the same exact thing, installed flawessly and even if the UI seems to have some issues rendering the program is working as well.

Perhaps you didn't gave Crossover permissions to have access under mac settings-privacy and security- check if Crossover is allowed to have access to:
Files and Folders
Accesibility
Automation

Those are the only three where my Crossover app is completely allowed (appears also in Total disk access but its not activated)

Check that out and let us know!

Hi Again, Israel.
Thanks for all that.
Files and Folders - OK
Accessibility - I added to it.
Automation - appears to be added to only by the system. there is no obvious way for me to add it.
I noticed your home page was stuffed with icons - not a sauasage on mine. Completely blank.
And then ... I discovered that my 14 day freebie has expired today. <Arrgh!>

As you can imagine, I'm not too keen to invest 60 quid on a bit of software which - for whatever reason - doesn't appear to work.
I also feel that it's a bit steep handing that amount out, just on the off chance your suggestion might work.

I'd like to really thank you for the trouble you have taken in helping me, but I'm afraid I'm going to wait until they release a new version and I can get another 14 day access to try it out.
I have to say I'm quite disappointed, but hey!, I'm sure it'll work eventually.

Thanks so much again and my very best wishes.
Jim.

Hey there,

Im NOT trying to promote not paying for Crossover, but if you need more time to check it works as you need it to, can I recommend you install the "Trash Me" app (or equivalent, to remove all files relating to crossover and hence the trial licence period tracker file), remove crossover entirely and then install it again? Or, simply create another Mac user account and start a new trial on that while testing.

Your issue sounds very abnormal, it might be worth trying the install / setup on a new user account anyway just to make sure thats not the issue.

Sorry for the tardy reply. I haven't been checking back as often as I should.
I have been fiddling about for weeks trying to get COM to work and BINGO! you get it first try.
Brilliant!
I tried used Trash Me as you suggested and it uninstalled the old version along with 15 other files.
However, when I downloaded and re-installed Crossover, it was exactly the same.
No difference.
So, over to Plan B.
I created a new user profile, downloaded Crossover (I must be wearing their servers out!), and installed it.
Installed my PC software (do you know, I don't even have to look, now) an fired it up.
Sapristi! Much to my delight, it behaved impeccably well. Everything as it ought to be.
Thanks so much for the idea.
Now ... I'd like to get it working on my original home profile.
Since you seem to be on a roll, do you have any ideas?????? 😀😀😎
But, really, thanks again.

OK> To save you reading all of the abov,e here is the continuing saga thus far ....
I wanted to use Crossover so I could continue to use Family Historian (I am a genealogy fan).
I installed Crossover and then installed Family Historian in its own bottle and that was where the fun started.
Crossover accepted everything, but did not update its Home page. It kept on showing the default "No application in this bottle" text - this in spite of it recording everything in the software installation window in the bottom RH corner. Every time I wanted to run up FH (which, within Crossover's limits, was OK), I had to generate a run command manually. The button to create a launcher was simply ignored.
After a lot of fiddling around, an on the advice of Aaron (above) I decided to create a new User Profile, went though all of the installation processes, loaded FH into a bottle and BINGO! everything worked as it should.
I know I could just move everything to the new profile, but in my experiance, an ignored problem often returns later to bite you on the bum! Besides, it ain't working as it should and that offends my tidy mind.
Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
The first thing that leapt to my (PC based) mind was User Profile settings .... but where do you find them?
Any ideas will be gratefully accepted.

Two sayings leap to mind: "Physician, heal thyself" & "When all else fails RTFM".
I only include this in case some other guy is searching for the same answer.
If you slelect 'Support' on the Codewaeavers site menu,, select 'Mac', then click om the 'FAQ' link, scroll down to 'Miscellaneous'
There's a link "Application icons are not being created after Windows programs are installed in CrossOver Mac".
Enquire Within.

Thanks again to all who helped in one way or another.
It really was appreciated.

MacBookPro 16" 2019 (Intel)
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2
Crossover 23.7.1
Windows 7 32-bit bottle

Same problem, the bottle is created, the Windows application installs well, but the main window of the bottle does not display any icon. Instead, the text "No applications were found in this bottle".

Successively, I used Crossover under the following conditions:

• from my standard user without privileges;
  • from the machine's administrator user;
  • by installing Crossover from brew;
  • by installing Crossover from the archive downloadable from the CodeWeavers site.
    In all these situations, the result is the same: the icon for the installed application is not displayed in the bottle's home window.

I applied chown and chmod as recommended in the 2010 post cited above, recursively to the contents of the "Crossover" folders in "Logs" and "ApplicationSupport" in my library. I have not found where else in the home folder Crossover is likely to create its files. I'm reluctant to apply these default rights to my entire home directory, on a 2023 Sonoma system on the advice of a post written in 2010.

Strange, but Crossover on my MacBook just doesn't work.

Try logging out of your Mac user account and then logging back in.

Are you able to run your Windows application using Run Command?

If so, are you able to "Save Command as a Launcher"?

Hi,

using Crossover, when I start the Windows application as a command, an empty white box is drawn on the screen, where the Windows application splash screen should appear. The name of the application is displayed next to the Apple menu. The application icon is displayed in the Dock. And that's as far as I go. All I have to do next is force the Windows application to quit from the Activity Monitor. BTW, it doesn't crash Crossover itself.

The explanation of misconfigured Unix rights is a plausible one. The Activity Monitor lists the files that the Windows application (and therefore Crossover) accesses in the Mac's file system. Most of these are located in /Applications/CrossOver.app/ , /System/Library/ , and ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/ . Alas, these are not the only directories used, and it doesn't tell us what rights are needed for Crossover.

Is official support available when you're within the 14-day trial period, or is it reserved for those who take the risk of buying the licence first and then testing Crossover's compatibility?

Thank you.

Hi Frederic,

What application is this? If we don't have good ratings for it in our database, it's likely that it just doesn't work and won't work without dedicated development.

You can try following some of the steps in this wiki, like using the dependency archive linked: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/unsupported_deps

Best,
Meredith

I also have the same issue, on an existing bottle I haven't opened since the beta. Now updated to 23.7.1

When opeinning it says "No applications were found in this bottle". Takes a long time to scan but eventually all the apps show up in the Installed Software pane. When opening apps directly from the C:Drive they load fine.

Repair bottle doesn't bring the apps back.

@ Meredith

Installed on Linux Mint, Crossover accepts the same application, provided the appropriate locale is configured in cxbottle.conf. It's a pro application, compatible with Windows 7 32bit and later. That's why I thought it was a matter specific to Crossover's MacOS version, rather than an incompatibility linked to the application itself. My speculations are probably wrong.

I've had exactly the same issue on an M1 MacBook Pro ... (Sonoma 13.4.1 as of today)

I raised a ticket with CodeWeaver support (Ticket 1417771) and there was a to and fro for a while, and then basically radio silence (this was several months ago) ..

We tried all the things that everyone else here has done ... creating a new user, uninstalling and reinstalling ... total clean uninstall and re-install / etc ... nothing worked.

The only thing that did work was firing up a VM in Parallels and installing CrossOver in that .. this at least worked, even though the performance sucked

No matter what I've tried on my MBP however, I cannot get CrossOver to show any applications as actually being installed in a Bottle ..

I've tried this with Steam, Notepad++, running a 3rd party installer, Cyberpunk 2077, Ubisoft Connect and more ... none of them result in anything other than "No applications were found in this bottle"

Another example of people experiencing problems can be found here https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general?t=27;msg=124575

Sadly there are no viable solutions in this post either :(

1 to 16 of 16

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaFZlR0xFS2NzUjRuM3RBTSIsImdkcHIiOjB9