CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

L4D2 'serious error and has to close' message appearing when I run through Steam

Hi there,

I'm trying to play Left 4 Dead 2 on my MacBook Air (2020, running Monterey 12.6.3) through CrossOver.

The other day, I created a bottle for Steam, installed the game through CO and it was working fine. I was able to play online and it ran smoothly with no issues.

Today, I'm trying to boot it up again and getting the message 'The program left4dead2.exe has encountered a serious error and has to close. We apologise for any inconvenience.' When I click on 'Show Details', the box just sits on 'Loading detailed information, please wait.' and never loads any information.

I've tried:

• Rebooting laptop
  • Uninstalling/reinstalling everything (Steam, L4D2, CO)
  • Creating a bottle for L4D2 (reinstalling Steam in the process) and loading from there
  • Clicking the little Steam icon at the top of my screen and loading L4D2 from there

Just not sure what to try next -- does anyone have any tips?

Thanks.

Hi there,

It's possible there was a settings change that isn't playing nice with CrossOver? You can go to your Documents folder, then to My Games, and delete the folder for L4D2 then try to launch again.

Best,
Meredith

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVFJFcllYNEFlbThhd0N4ViIsImdkcHIiOjB9