CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover on High Sierra

I am curious if there is going to be an upgrade that will work with the new Apple File System (apfs) which will be the default on High Sierra?

Hello Gordon,
Did you get any answer for this subject ? Because I am also veeeeery curious about it. More than that, I would like to know if the switch to the APFS will facilitate or decrease the work of Codeweavers.
Because to me, Codeweavers is really great, but with the constant threat of the non compatibility. What is the impact of APFS for Codeweavers for short/middle/long term ?

Thanks

...sorry for taking so long to reply, when I did not see any progress I did not keep checking for an answer.

I have High Sierra Beta 4 on a flash drive and have installed Crossover and a program called pop peeper for email. I have not gotten into any other programs as yet due to space limitations. I did not upgrade to the newer file system having read about problems with booting into it. So, at least for now, Crossover is good on High Sierra with the HFS+ formatting. Hope this helps...

Following - interested in apfs support...

Beta tester here. Can confirm APFS support (somehow). In the beginning , CrossOver would start, but applications would lock up on launch, and CrossOver would fail to quit (shutting down bottles forever), also sometimes causing kernel panics. Since the latest beta, CrossOver works fine, IF YOU LET EACH BOTTLE LOAD before launching applications (i.e., you click a bottle, wait until the shortcuts of the system controls have loaded, and then click the application you want to load).
Hope that helps.

Is there any news regarding Crossover and High Sierra (APFS) support ? Anyhow, an official statement that High Sierra with APFS is currently not supported would be very helpful, at least for those users who didn't upgraded their system yet.

I have installed High Sierra on my 2017 iMac and have had no issues at all with Crossover 16.2.5 - mainly running an old version of Quicken.

I think the main issue is APFS in High Sierra, if you haven't a SSD as your system disk, the update process will not convert the filesystem to APFS.

Hi there!

This is Katie from CodeWeavers Tech Support. I want to confirm that Crossover and High Sierra are indeed compatible. We have had a few reports of users having trouble with the new OS but so far haven't been able to reproduce it here in house. If you are having trouble please write into support so we can help figure out what's got Crossover all tangled up. :)

https://www.codeweavers.com/about/contact-us#support

Best regards,

Katie
CodeWeavers Tech Support

First time I started CrossOver 16.1 or .2 in High Sierra it wouldn't bring up Janus 4.3, a program that was working before High Sierra. I could not force quit CrossOver. I had to reboot my Mac and then quickly close Crossover which was already saying it was not responding. Finally got it closed but now what?

Is this a High Sierra issue (new file system) or a need to upgrade to the latest CrossOver version. Or both?

I have the same issue. Any Windows Application is not responding in High Sierra anymore. I use mp3tag in crossover for example without any issues before. Now the Windows application is not starting. I cannot shutdown crossover (using version 16.2.5 (16.2.5.30228)) too.

I must restart my Mac to shutdown crossover.

regards
Markus

Presently I'm on Mac OS 10.13.1 Beta 2 and I have a SSD so I'm on the new APFS. So far windows applications seem to be running fine. For example I'm able to run Steam and games like Crysis without any issues. While running Mac OS 10.13 I had the same results. I'm running the latest version of CrossOver Mac.

Hi,

I have the same issue using CrossOver and High Sierra, so I copied the CrossOver package to the hard disk (still HFS+, of course) and started it there. That did the trick. I know this is no solution, it is slow and will probably not work for every issue, but if nothing else helps, you may give it a try.

Best wishes

Uli

I have a ticket open with Katie right now around the hanging issue. Unfortunately the only resolution being offered is to reinstall High Sierra which works until you next reboot and then the problem returns which isn't practical Apparently the issue is down to corrupt OS files which seems strange when I haven't seen any reports of this on the Apple side as you would expect other issues to occur.

If you rely on Crossover for critical work I advise not to upgrade to High Sierra until the root cause is found.

I have the same issue, but what triggers it is inconsistent and therefore difficult to recreate. In a trace file requested by Support I noted some errors of missing Windows folders when the hang took place, but have not had any feedback from them on that (my ticket has gone very quiet). I am sceptical about the corrupt OS files as such a problem would surely be more widespread and affect other systems. Interestingly the same applications run just fine directly under Wine, so for now that’s what I’m using. In fact it was so easy to setup I am reconsidering my use of Crossover.

Some of our customers have reported that a simple re-boot of the machine resolved the problem, for others it did not. Another option would be to re-boot in Safe Mode. To see if the issue is present there.

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.
    To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

If the issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, try restarting without pressing any keys.
  • If the issue doesn't come back, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed.

I have found solution to run CrossOver on macOS High Sierra with APFS. Currently running on my 2017 MacBook Pro 13".

Open Terminal.app, in terminal paste
/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver && exit
press Enter 😇

On 10.13.1, I have the following exceptions while launching (via terminal):

mac:~ antoine$ /Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver && exit
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
libcxsetup-v3.py:warning: category Multimedia/Photo Editing has no localized category name
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'

On the GUI, I see all my bottles, but in the bottom the control panels stay on "loading..." forever.
And apps won't run :(

And, yes, Crossover is on an APFS formated ssd.

Thanks,

High Sierra update today has solved my problems

Indeed, CrossOver has some serious issues with High Sierra;
Upgraded a system from Mac OS Sierra to High Sierra, installed all the patches that Apple supplied.

However, CrossOver failed to start my "simple" Applications (Total Commander v9.10, licensed version) that worked fine before.
It would attempt to start it but closed the application (Total Commander) within a second.

So, I thought best to completely remove CrossOver and re-install it.
Installing CrossOver went ok, no issues.

But the moment I want to add the CrossOver's default bottle for Total Commander, its fails!
Trying to add Total Commander (v9.10) manually ia the step-by-step method also fails.

Interestingly it seems to have permission-issues or is indeed not compatible with High Seirra's new APFS file-system;
"...cxbottle:error: unable to create the 'Total Commander bottle in '/Users/..."

As this error is a known error for some time on High Sierra for quite some time, is CrossOver now crap-ware?
Too bad I recently renewed my license then ...

I expect CodeWeavers not being able to provide a working solution for quite some time, so it appears.

I have raised, for the first time ever (been using CrossOver since 2011) a formal support-case, but I won't hold my breath.

It saddens me when a company fumbles so big-time and leaves us in the cold...

Apps that won't work on High Sierra

"...
Other third party apps
Other apps with issues are said to include:

CodeWeavers CrossOver (and apps that use it, such as LogMeIn Rescue)
..."

I just wanted to mention that I am running CrossOver 16.2.5 on High Sierra (10.13.1). It is running on an APFS filesystem since I have an SSD drive. Every bottle is stuck in a "Scanning..." status and none of my programs installed in CrossOver will run.

I do not know if there is any information that I could provide to you that would help Codeweavers diagnose the problem.

Bob C

Bob Carpenter wrote:

I just wanted to mention that I am running CrossOver 16.2.5 on High
Sierra (10.13.1). It is running on an APFS filesystem since I have
an SSD drive. Every bottle is stuck in a "Scanning..." status and
none of my programs installed in CrossOver will run.

I'm having the exact same problem. Has Codeweavers said anything about this yet? It seems that CrossOver has been on the "apps that won't run on High Sierra" list since June when the High Sierra beta was first released.

It's completely non-functional for me as it evidently is for others. Since I actually pay for this software and depend on it, it's not acceptable that it still doesn't work this far into a new release of MacOS.

Can anyone comment if CrossOver is functional on High Sierra that is not using any attached SSD?
I'm running CrossOver Version 17.0b5 (17.0.0beta5.31153) using Quicken 2016. Thanks!

Please read my comment in this thread

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;msg=202243

Wes wrote:

Can anyone comment if CrossOver is functional on High Sierra that is
not using any attached SSD?
I'm running CrossOver Version 17.0b5 (17.0.0beta5.31153) using
Quicken 2016. Thanks!

APFS is only used on nand chip filesystem found in phones and ssds.
If you do not run on such storage device there is no problem with High Sierra

"APFS is only used on nand chip filesystem found in phones and ssds.
If you do not run on such storage device there is no problem with High Sierra"

Thanks for posting this comment. Seeing CrossOver listed in the list of apps incompatible with High Sierra had me concerned and hesitating to upgrade.
Since I'm not using any SSD devices connected to my iMac, I'll plan on upgrading.

The APFS file system is the default file system for High Sierra for any Mac with that uses an SSD drive instead of a fusion drive or traditional hard drive. So there is a possibility of CrossOver problems depending on what kind of storage system is inside your Mac. I am wondering if you can specify at the time of the upgrade that the file system remain the AFS as before?

Wes wrote:

"APFS is only used on nand chip filesystem found in phones and ssds.

If you do not run on such storage device there is no problem with
High Sierra"

Thanks for posting this comment. Seeing CrossOver listed in the list
of apps incompatible with High Sierra had me concerned and
hesitating to upgrade.
Since I'm not using any SSD devices connected to my iMac, I'll plan
on upgrading.

Craig Paulshock wrote:

I am wondering if you can specify at the time of the upgrade that
the file system remain the AFS as before?

The macOS install program will automatically upgrade you to APFS if you have an SSD drive as your macOS boot drive. You do not have a choice at install time. It may be possible to do some sort of hack to change the filesystem back to HFS+ extended after the upgrade or do something to do the installer to make you think you do not have an SSD, but I am not aware of any such hack.

Despite the comment listed here, I have only had problems with CrossOver after the migration to APFS. I hope it will be corrected soon, but I will get by using VMWare Fusion when I need Windows until it is fixed.

Bob C

It is my understanding that all macs with fusion drives utilize an SSD (integrated into the fusion drive) for boot up. As such, I think that would mean when High Sierra is installed, APFS would be implemented? Or perhaps APFS is only implanted when all the data storage is SSD. That is a question I don't know the answer to. Last I read, a lot of CrossOver users were having problems with High Sierra.

According to OSXDaily, it is possible to install High Sierra on a system with SSD while keeping the HFS+ file system (i.e., skip APFS):
http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/17/how-skip-apfs-macos-high-sierra/

I haven't tried it so can't say if it works.

Craig Paulshock wrote:

It is my understanding that all macs with fusion drives utilize an
SSD (integrated into the fusion drive) for boot up. As such, I think
that would mean when High Sierra is installed, APFS would be
implemented? Or perhaps APFS is only implanted when all the data
storage is SSD. That is a question I don't know the answer to. Last
I read, a lot of CrossOver users were having problems with High
Sierra.

Yes - a Fusion Drive is an SSD [typically NAND and at least 24GB in capacity] and a HDD that is logically merged into a single block device [Core Storage managed logical volume]

No - APFS is currently not available for Mac systems with a Fusion Drive or internal boot HDD and will be available in a future update - see https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/09/macos-high-sierra-now-available-as-a-free-update/

Yes - macOS High Sierra converts internal SSD boot drives to APFS by default.

You cannot split a Fusion Drive into a separate SSD and HDD non-destructively - e.g. wiping all data on the Fusion Drive

An easy way to run macOS High Sierra and HPS+ is to install macOS High Sierra on an external HDD and boot from that external drive. For the best performance use Thunderbolt not FireWire.

MichaelR wrote:

According to OSXDaily, it is possible to install High Sierra on a
system with SSD while keeping the HFS+ file system (i.e., skip
APFS):
http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/17/how-skip-apfs-macos-high-sierra/

I haven't tried it so can't say if it works.

Why do this?

Just use an external HDD, format to HPS+, install macOS High Sierra on it, and boot from that external HDD. The external HDD will not be converted to APFS.

Also having an external bootable drive allows you to test without compromising your production/work machine so if anything goes wrong - just erase, reformat, and reinstall macOS High Sierra on the external drive.

I have a ticket out with Brian Mathieu, my system freezes when I try and upgrade crossover to 16.2. My question is do I have to delete the original copy and then do I download another copy. I only use one program with is windows which is Family Historian. Please can Brian or yourself let me know what to do next for the best. I am in the UK and the time difference is a problem. I have also bought phone support but do not know when to ring. Can you ring me ?

After updating to High Sierra I had the same problems as others: could not load either Quicken or Word despite having latest versions of High Sierra and Crossover; once I tried to load either app I could not close Crossover in normal way and I could not shut down computer after having run Crossover. Tried rebooting to no avail. Success from doing what one commenter suggested, namely opening Crossover first, then opening the particular bottle for the app, then opening the app. This not only worked, but once I did this I could open and close the app and Crossover in the usual way. I was prepared to delete High Sierra and roll back to Sierra, but now I don't have to do this.

I have the same problem. SSD drive. Crossover installed programs do not launch.
Was able to get wineskin to launch installed programs by unchecking 'Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D'
Is there a way to do the same thing in Crossover?

Not had much reason to use it in recent years (although I renewed to support the project) but I did find when testing Crossover 16.2.5 it caused a hard crash for me on 10.13.1 before I even tried a Windows application. I had to hold the power button to shutdown as a got a constant spinning beach ball and although I could move this around the screen nothing responded to mouse clicks, plus the video I had playing in a web browser froze. 😭

I've not had a problem with Wineskin so far but then those are self contained and stored on a mechanical disk (HFS+) where as Crossover is on my boot SSD (now APFS).

Anyone tried moving Crossover to another disk and running from there?

I moved the crossover application from my SSD to my secondary internal HDD. After opening it there all programs were able to open and run again without any problems.
Hope that helps,

Tom

HI all I have also problems with CrossOver Mac and High Sierra with APFS, is any solution from Codeweavers?

I have macOS High Sierra running APFS on my MacBook Pro (late 2016) and CrossOver apps will not start from their icons. In fact, immediately opening CrossOver after booting up hangs CrossOver and the computer will not shutdown without using the power button. The workaround I've been using is:

1. wait 5 mins after rebooting before attempting to start CrossOver
  2. after opening CrossOver click on the bottle and wait for the bottle to show the Control Panels folder
  3. open the program from the icon in the bottle
  4. as long as CrossOver remains open, the program in the bottle can be stopped and started without issue from the application icon

As far as I can tell it is nothing to do with migration from Sierra - I just did a complete reinstall on my MacBook Pro: erased the whole disk, reformatted, reinstalled all software from scratch, and the problem still persists.

I have had success with Crossover after installing the 10.13.2 update for High Sierra. Support had told me on the phone there was a fix coming in it that would address issues where Crossover would hang. Now since installing it after its release on Dec 6 2017, Crossover appears to work well.

I have Crossover 17.0 on High Sierra 10.13.2. Internal SSD. Crossover just HANGS on launch - control panels in all bottles show "loading..."
No amount of restarting the computer (advice from Codeweavers support) will resolve this. I have restarted six times, now, with the same behavior each time.
Complete non-starter for me.

1. I want to acknowledge Ryan (Codeweavers teach support) for this useful information:

Thanks for writing in. We have come across this issue quite alot
    with the latest upgrade to High Sierra. The common thread seem to be
    syncing with icloud drive. Interestingly this issue is not seen if a
    new user is created on the machine without signing into icloud, and
    in some cases booting in safe mode.

We do have an open case with Apple for this, they said it should be
resolved in a supplemental build update. For now the workaround
would be to create a new user, and use CrossOver in said new user.
Note, you may have to reinstall your applications or Migrate the
"Bottle" folder from the present user Library to new user Library.
This can be found in . ~/Library/Application Support/Crossover.

1. Some observations from my troubleshooting. Might help, might not.
    When Crossover hangs, I cannot quit it. I have to force quit the Crossover application.
    Afterward, Activity Monitor reveals several running instances of "wineloader" I believe these interfere with system restart or shutdown. Both functions hang. I have to force shut down (with the power switch)
    I successfully used Ryan's workaround, although I had to reinstall Crossover in my temp user account first. That temp user account was signed into the same iCloud account as my standard account. I signed out before using Ryan's workaround.
    Returning to my standard account, Crossover is working as designed. That may be a coincidence or a result of the restart, or may have something to do with signing the temp account out of iCloud.

Hi
Is there any moment on the High Sierra issue? After initial problems with Crossover /Sailwave it was working but now since the last High Sierra update it has all gone wrong again. The only way I can make it all work is to start my machine in safe mode but once I go back and re -boot normally nothing works again!
Mark

I am in the same boat as many folks above. My Bottles are stuck on "loading" on High Sierra. Rebooting in Safe Mode lets me run CrossOver apps, but then rebooting back into "normal" non-safe mode and I am dead in the water again. I've tried waiting 5 minute after reboot, clicking on the Bottle to let it load (it never does), as well as running from the command line. Help!

I get "CrossOver is unable to initialize a critical component.
Failed to import cxutils module into Python."
bash-3.2$ /Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver && exit
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
ImportError: Bad magic number in /Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/lib/python/cxutils.pyc

David Underwood wrote:

bash-3.2$ /Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver &&
exit
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50:
Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353:
Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file
'/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'

/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50:
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.30.2/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353:
'/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'

ImportError: Bad magic number in
/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/lib/python/cxutils.pyc

You may find this post guiding in the right direction

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;mhl=202437;msg=201543

David Underwood wrote:

bash-3.2$ /Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver &&
exit
'/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'

'/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'

ImportError: Bad magic number in
/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/lib/python/cxutils.pyc

We have also see errors in the past related to using an unzip utility other than the macOS builtin Archive.app to decompress the crossover.zip file which we use to distribute CrossOver. Some decompression utilities do not seem to be able to unzip the archive without corrupting it. I am not sure whether that is a likely error in this case, but if you know that you have a different decompression utility installed, you might want to delete CrossOver and re-download it from our website, then decompress the .zip with the standard Archvie.app that comes built-in with macOS.

Still no news on the issue with High Sierra? After 2 long (expensive ) calls before Christmas to the help line I am still waiting for a reply. I am a bit of a technical vacuum so any advise needs to be simple!
Mark

I had a similar issue where as soon as I upgraded to High Sierra last week my Crossover bottles were stuck in loading and I couldn't kill the app apart from Swithing off my MacBook Pro.

Crossover support provided the following response which worked for me.

Thanks for writing us. We're working on a simple fix for the issue caused by updating to macOS High Sierra, but for now completely removing and reinstalling CrossOver will do the trick. You can find the instructions to remove CrossOver at https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/uninstall

After removing CrossOver you will need to restart the computer and reinstall https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/install

Note that this will remove all data in your Bottles, so you will want to make sure you have a backup of any important documents and applications.

1 to 50 of 68

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV0tncnd0V3VNOXhTblROYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9