CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

External/portable CD-Drive - CD not recognized after installation

Hello! I have an issue with Crossover and an external CD drive, I've searched both Google and the forums but haven't seemed to find a solution - hoping one of you will be able to help me.

I'm trying to run a game through an external/portable CD drive that connects via USB (I'm on a laptop with no built-in cd-drive) and though Crossover automatically recognizes/mounts the CD and can install the game with no issues, when I try to play it, it just says "Please insert the correct CD and restart the game". (The game is Black & White, if that interests anyone.)

I don't really know what to do to make my computer/crossover recognize the CD. There is only one, so I don't have the wrong one in, I've tried re-installing it but it doesn't work, I've tried both USB slots on my computer. I found (this guide [link=https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/faq/usbtoserial][/link]) but it didn't work and I'm not even sure that was meant for USB-connected CD-drives in the first place.

I'm guessing I need to somehow mount the CD differently or directly into the program or something, but I honestly have no idea what to do here. I'm really hoping someone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it!

Not that I want to be negative, but if the game installs but doesn't run and insist upon inserting a disk, your issue is probably a DRM problem.

Some DRM schemes don't work with Crossover, a lot of them do. If the DRM doesn't work, the software won't read your disk as an original and will insist you must insert the game disk, even if it is in the drive. This isn't a mounting issue, it is bad software, as all DRM tend to be. That being said, I personally had DRM issues while under windows itself, so lets just say I'm not a fan.

Of course, one can now bring up the questions relating to what exactly is the point of DRM, since most games are pirated anyway. One can also question why legitimate customers are the ones bothered by such schemes, etc.

Unfortunately, there isn't much to do when that happens. Now there are "options" for you to consider, but they may or may not be legal in your country (definitely illegal in US or Canada). If you're thinking I'm being vague, it is entirely intentional so as to respect the forum rules.

Thank you, yeah, I understand what you're being vague about. Shucks, I was hoping there was some way of solving this without having to, y'know. Well this sucks. :(

Thanks for your reply anyway!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUmhhVm1iZ1JtM01XQ0hRUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9