CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Microsoft XNA Framework on Crossover 19

Has anyone else attempted to run a game that depends on the Microsoft XNA framework on Crossover 19 in Catalina? It's giving me some issues. I have previously run the same software successfully in Mojave, albeit in a Wineskin.

The game I'm using is called Underrail, from a GOG installer. (I have now submitted it to the Crossover database.) I'm using a 64-bit Windows 7 bottle. During the XNA installation, I got warning OK clickthroughs: "Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application" (title bar reads "DXSETUP.exe"), followed by (title bar now reads "Setup") "Runtime Error (at 69:1358):" and "Runtime Error (at 73:1379):" and "Runtime Error (at 211:814): Out of Global Vars range" and "Invalid Opcode". Clicked OK on each of those, and the software attempts to load. It gets as far as the main menu screen before crashing.

Log says,

Unhandled Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.SoundEffectUnsafeNativeMethods.Play(UInt32 soundEffectInstanceHandle)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.SoundEffectInstance.Play()
   at bpq.ab2(String A_0, Single A_1, Boolean A_2, py A_3, Boolean A_4)
   at d7i.a(String A_0, Single A_1)
   at d7i.f(Object A_0, bm6 A_1)
   at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   at dzc.b(d8n A_0, c9u A_1, a1c A_2)
   at dzc.js(d8n A_0)
   at bs8.js(d8n A_0)
   at dzc.js(d8n A_0)
   at dzc.js(d8n A_0)
   at bky.dl(d8n A_0)
   at ar1.a(d8n A_0)
   at a0q.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at ds8.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
   at bqq.a(String[] A_0)
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0xfffffff0 at address 0x1007:0x0109259f (thread 002b), starting debugger...

Installed Crossover "DirectX for Modern Games" and now I don't get a crash until I mouseover the menu.

I am also seeing apps/games that use Microsoft XNA Framework crash on CrossOver 19. They worked fine in CrossOver 18.5

Chas4, could you be more specific about which games/apps were working in 18.5 and are now crashing with XNA Framework?

Anything that uses Microsoft XNA Framework, one big example (one I tried to add to the games but was rejected) is CnCNet (for online play of Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge https://cncnet.org/yuris-revenge (I have played with Windows users over the internet, while I was running that in CrossOver).

I get to the main menu of CnCNet Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge and then it crashes (with CrossOver 19), in CrossOver 18.5 it worked fine.

Terraria also uses the XNA Framework. It does have a Mac build, but that build is 32-bit so doesn't run on Catalina either.

I'm getting similar errors on other games I'm trying to install from GOG. Specifically, Diablo and Worms Armageddon. The following pop-ups show up toward the end of the process.

"Runtime error (at 73:1379)"
"Runtime error (at 211:184): Out of Global Vars range."
"Invalid Opcode"

@Johnny Interesting, those are a couple of the same errors, and I'm pretty confident those titles don't use XNA. So I guess it's a broader problem. Hopefully it will be easy to address. I've tried poring through more verbose versions of the log files, but I'm not an expert.

CNCNet crashes in the same situation. Mouse hovers onto a button, the SFX sounds, and the application suddenly quits.

ShikiSuen wrote:

CNCNet crashes in the same situation. Mouse hovers onto a button,
the SFX sounds, and the application suddenly quits.
Some reason to get the XNA Framework to not crash for me was to change a setting for the bottle from Windows XP to Windows 10 and run the installer for CnCNet again (have to macOS to approve the .exe). Strange tho that right now the bottle is not getting any network connection (even tho it is not blocked by any firewall). Still looks to be some sort of compatibility issue with CrossOver 19 & macOS 10.15.2

As of Crossover 20 beta 3, this issue appears to be resolved. Or, the version of it I was experiencing anyway. The problem had still been present in previous beta builds.

I definitely suggest trying it out!

I am seeing a different Xna error on an iMac running Catalina and a MacBook Pro 16" running Big Sur. in both cases I am trying to get terraria to run. I am able to get steam up and running and then click on terraria. the message is:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.ProfilesCapablities' from assembly 'FNA ....' I have the screenshot of the errors.

Hi there,

Are you using our crosstie to install Terraria (that is, are you selecting Terraria in the list of software to install), or are you installing Steam and then selecting Terraria? Last time I checked, our crosstie was working well to install Terraria.

Best,
Meredith

I know in Crossover 20 one of the .net loading is broken as it will fail to load when you try to Run CnCNet from the shortcut but will work if you run it from the installer, CnCNet uses Microsoft XNA Framework and that crashes on the current Crossover 20 (I think it is compatibility issue with trying to update for macOS 11 & M1)

1 to 13 of 13

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiY0VMRUtUa2J0Q1E4Z3ZGUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9