CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Heroes III might and magic Apple M1

Hey! I am just trying the trial version to test if Heroes III might and magic III would work. Which it does!
I can install HD and Hota, but those don't open. The launcher opens, but nothing happens when hits the "play" button.
My question is, why is the classic 3 complete GOG works fine, maybe with a bit of lag here and there? and not HD or Hota don't even start? This is really what's keeping me from buying at this time, as I would really pay the money to be able to play my favorite game of all time on the M1.

I have similar problem on Macbook Pro with M1 processor. Crossover (nightly) returned code 29 and HD mod unfortunately didn't start.

Does anyone have any idea how to manage this issue?

Hey I want to ask how do you install heroes of might and magic 3 complete on Mac Pro m1 ? somebody nows how to do it and run ? I tray all ready parallels desktop bat is not compete bole on windows 10 that game whit parallels olso playonmac don't work.. if some one not how to install and run this game on m1 Mac I bee greet full :)

dominik orlik wrote:

playonmac don't work

PlayOnMac only provides WineCX19.0.0 Engine that was based on CrossOver-19.0.0 sources along with not even been optimized for running on M1. PlayOnMac will struggle to play more games on the M1 that’s ignoring the lack of gnutls and other required modern libraries….

Here’s a note I have for this title based on CrossOver-20.0.2;

• Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (Crash in-game)

Hi all,

In our testing of both CrossOver 20 and 21 on M1, we found that Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Complete game will install and open using the offline installer from GOG. However, the game will quickly hang or crash UNLESS you disable in-game music. We were not able to get the HD mod to work at all.

Best,
Meredith

Hi all, I am the HD mod developer and one of the HotA developers.
I don't have a MacBook with M1. I dont need it. And I have no free funds to buy it. But if I had it, I would be able to start work on the compatibility of HotA and HD mod with CrossOver on M1.
What if I start raising funds to buy a MacBook with M1? Will it be realistic for me to raise funds? Сonsidering that I cannot guarantee a successful result. What do you think?

Hi baratorch,

Thank you for all of your amazing work on the HD mod! If I could buy you an M1 Macbook, I would. Your code has been such a positive influence in my life :)

Would it be possible for you to develop on a hosted M1 service? Scaleways offers a relatively inexpensive hosted M1 mac mini, complete with VNC. I would happily foot this bill for you if you like.

Shoot me an email at alexander dot ose at gmail dot com if you're interested.

Hey,
I've encountered similar problems on my Mac with M1.
I have managed to install H3 from GOG & HD Mod & Hota
HD MoD + H3 works perfectly fine, however, if I try to launch HD Mod + Hota it's lagging in a way that doesn't let play at all. It is impossible to generate a random map, game stucks and stops working.

I have tried to do it in three ways – by CrossOver, by PortingKit, and using Wineskin Winery, in all cases the situation is the same HD Mod + H3 works, HoTA does not. Have you managed to find any solution for those problems, baratorch?

PerHour wrote:

I have tried to do it in three ways – by CrossOver, by
PortingKit, and using Wineskin Winery

PortingKit(Wineskin) uses crossover-sources as the base for there WineCX packages so comparability will be somewhat similar is most cases.

Hi,
I've been trying to run Heroes III Complete and Hota over Crossover. I am owner of MacBook Pro 14' 2021 (M1). There is my outcome:

• Heroes III Complete (GoG) does not run at all (it looks like it runs and shut downs in a second - just a quick blink)
  • When I install HOTA on the top of H3 then it runs over h3 launcher HOWEVER I am not able to create new room in lobby because room name input is somehow inactive - it's not possible to set room name. On the other hand I am able to set password normally.
  • Same problem as above affect public chat - it's not possible to type anything there (private messages work... weird)
  • Playing offline (HOTA) is possible HOWEVER it's extremely lagging - basically it's not playable.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Cheers!

baratorch wrote:

Hi all, I am the HD mod developer and one of the HotA developers.
I don't have a MacBook with M1. I dont need it. And I have no free
funds to buy it. But if I had it, I would be able to start work on
the compatibility of HotA and HD mod with CrossOver on M1.
What if I start raising funds to buy a MacBook with M1? Will it be
realistic for me to raise funds? Сonsidering that I cannot
guarantee a successful result. What do you think?

Let's try. I'm absolutely on it.

By the way, HOTA works with full performance in Parallels (on the same computer), but all unit stacks in the battle cause only 1 damage - looks spectacular))
Edit: according to HOTA help - fixed the 1 dmg problem in Parallels by "Safe emulation" option.

"Playing offline (HOTA) is possible HOWEVER it's extremely lagging - basically it's not playable."

Same exact situation here with M1 Max - Heroes III HD seems to work just fine, something about HOTA HD. No matter what HOTA HD just runs super laggy.

Same here on 14" M1 Pro

Anton Zverev wrote:

Same here on 14" M1 Pro

Do you have symptoms about not working inputs in HOTA lobby?

mikee927 wrote:

Anton Zverev wrote:

Same here on 14" M1 Pro

Do you have symptoms about not working inputs in HOTA lobby?

Sign in/up inputs are working well. Offline mode is very laggy.

Is there anything we could help to investigate this issue?

HI everybody!
I have a problem. I've installed heroes 3 on my Mac air m1 from GOG. and everything was good, but game crashes after a few seconds of gaming. can anybody help me please?(

hi!
so how do you play heroes? I didn't catch it.
I've tried with gog and it doesn't run( what should I do? I

Pasechnik wrote:

HI everybody!
I have a problem. I've installed heroes 3 on my Mac air m1 from GOG.
and everything was good, but game crashes after a few seconds of
gaming. can anybody help me please?(

Hi there,

Did you disable in-game audio? As mentioned above, that is needed in order to prevent crashing.

Best,
Meredith

Hi!
No, I didn't. how to disable in-game music?

Any updates regarding lagging HOTA on M1 CPUs?

Can you help how to install Heroes 3 complete on crossover? I followed the instructions from the form / crossover compatibility bottle. but it wont launch. I got Heroes 3 complete from GOG. I download the offline one, but it still did not work

MacBook Pro m1 max here. Installed homm 3 from gog, using the bottle settings from the application list (Heroes of might and magic III complete). Installed hd launcher and after some time hota as well. Everything works fine so far (including hota). Haven't tried online lobby though yet.
It looks like homm3 are slow on startup, and also at least for me it crashes when I try to switch to another app, while homm3hd is in fullscreen mode. But for the rest - it's perfectly fine.

Upd. Forgot to mention - I turned on Performance bottle setting and high-resolution setting for the homm3 bottle.

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Pasechnik wrote:

HI everybody!
I have a problem. I've installed heroes 3 on my Mac air m1 from
GOG.
and everything was good, but game crashes after a few seconds of
gaming. can anybody help me please?(

Hi there,

Did you disable in-game audio? As mentioned above, that is needed in
order to prevent crashing.

Best,
Meredith

how do u disable in-game music when cant even launch the game properly

Update to my comment above - guys - who faces performance issues on HotA with hd launcher - try this option in tweaks:
<Graphics.DrawMap.Threads> = 1

Any progress or news? I'm ready to donate a bit for the M1 machine for hota creators. Forced to use my old laptop just to play heroes 3

<Graphics.DrawMap.Threads> = 1 helps graphics a bit, but all CPU - related activities are super slow on M1 Max, like loading a new game, quick combat resolution, units movement in battle. Unplayably slow.

I'm glad to hear that you got it all working! To be clear, you are able to run HOTA at full speed? I'm still getting crippling slowdowns on that app, however the Heroes HD app runs perfectly. I was able to finish a random XL map with no crashes or slowdowns. On the other hand, HOTA won't even generate a map.

I'm MBP2021 user and I can confirm that regular HOMM3 with HD mod works just fine via crossover. However, HotA is laggy as hell. I cannot tell why, but it has to do something with the mod. It's important to note that no settings can affect that: multithreaded rendering helps just a bit, but the main problem is CPU calculations that take an eternity to complete. I hope devs can fix this issue since i absolutely LOVE hota and I cannot return back to an old version.

You may want to crowdfund on an M1 MBP to reproduce an issue, I would like to donate some sum to make it happen.

I think the problem still persists. I use my 5-years old MBP just to run Hota )

Andrey Leskov wrote:

I think the problem still persists. I use my 5-years old MBP just to run Hota )

Same story here =)

Will also be happy to donate a bit for the m1 mac to @baratorch to help fix the issue.

It seems there is no progress 8( Due to this issue I've decided to not prolongate Crossover subscription and move to parralells

Same story here...mac book pro m1 max.

Getting stuck while game is trying to create random map.

By the way in Parallels I get mini lags as well. Mouse cursor and right mouse button are lagging sometimes.

So the only way at least for now is to play Homm 3 Complete in Crossover, but not Hota :(

Version 22.0 - no change, unfortunately.

It works now! HoMM3 HD 5.3 R11 - full performance! Not sure if it was fixed earlier, but after r11 all performance issues go.

Works for me as well! Great news!!!

Hello! Could you please share the link from where you got this assembly?

Irakliy Bokuchava wrote:

Works for me as well! Great news!!!

Can you tell me please how you install Hota in Crossover?

Dmytro Krasylnikov wrote:

It works now! HoMM3 HD 5.3 R11 - full performance! Not sure if it was fixed earlier, but after r11 all performance issues go.

Nikita wrote:

Dmytro Krasylnikov wrote:

Create Win 10 bottle, install Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Complete (from https://www.gog.com/en/game/heroes_of_might_and_magic_3_complete_edition for example), then install HoTA to the same bottle. Or you can download an already installed game from some community resource.

I downloaded the installer disk from GoG into crossover. Seems to have installed properly and all of the icons are there. I tried to open HOMM III it blinks and then crashes. I get an error box

DirectDraw Error (16385)
DDERR_UNSUPPORTED
File:c:\Dev\Heroes 3 Exp2\Game\WINGRAPH.CPP
Line 164"

GoG has both disk 1 which is the installer and then disk 2 which is the play disk. After installing what do I do with the play disk file?

Im so confused please help

Incase anyone gets to the bottom of this thread and still has issues; despite the fact that Porting Kit uses crossover components, its recipe for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 consistantly works with no further modification.

I ended up using that. It's free and the maintainer (mr paulthetall) is very actively maintaining the project.

https://www.portingkit.com/game/236

Its pretty point and click, download, open, search for homm3, click install, press next on a few prompts.

(Not to at all detract from the awesome work the crossover guys do, but they only have so many developers to work on the millions of applications that require ongoing maintenance to stay compatible.)

Hi! I've read this entire thread, thanks for the work, but I'm still having trouble. I had it working on my old laptop, but not this one. So I'm just contributing to the info in case there's someone working on it.

MacBook Pro 2021, Apple M1 Pro, Running Monterey 12.2.1

CrossOver Version 23.7.1 (I also tried version 22 and nothing)
Porting Key 6.0.21 (stalls out on the wrapper)

1 to 43 of 43

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ0IzMjdicHN0Z0F3dlNUYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9