CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Help me pls with my dreams

Hi, English is not my language. so the first - sorry

I bought crossover, but can't play any games, Why?
What do I need to do?
I have a m1 (11.2.1), steam and want play to
this is my try - https://youtu.be/xEVOS06jQJM

Dark souls I (prepare to die) and II
Nier Automata
WH SpaceMarine
WH Soulstorm\Down of War
A Plague Tale
MGS V
and much more

What games can I run with CrossOver and what do I need to do for it?

Hi there,

Not all games will run on CrossOver, but searching forums and seeing if the game is our compatibility database (and has a rating) is always a good start. If a game isn't listed in our compatibility database, it might still work - that just means no one has submitted it :)

Looking at your list, it's a known issue that Nier Automata won't work. But some of the others might if you enable DXVK. To do that, right click on the bottle you installed the games in, go to Settings, and click "DXVK Backend for D3D11." Once it's checked, you can restart your bottle.

Best,
Meredith

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi there,

Not all games will run on CrossOver, but searching forums and seeing
if the game is our compatibility database (and has a rating) is
always a good start. If a game isn't listed in our compatibility
database, it might still work - that just means no one has submitted
it :)

Looking at your list, it's a known issue that Nier Automata won't
work. But some of the others might if you enable DXVK. To do that,
right click on the bottle you installed the games in, go to
Settings, and click "DXVK Backend for D3D11." Once it's checked, you
can restart your bottle.

Best,
Meredith

I did it, but it isn't help.

All games work awful or dont work at all
Crossover is the worst buy.

I am sorry I believe you had the wrong impression when you thought CrossOver makes every game work on MacOS. It makes SOME apps works but not all. I hope they refund you.

I’m not sure what you expected exactly, the M1 Macs are a brand new architecture and doesn’t support Bootcamp due to the current lack of Windows 10 ARM for retail purchase.

As CodeWeavers provides a 14 free trial giving more than enough time to test this out before making a purchase, so not sure why you made a purchase before ensuring these listed titles worked.

If your main focus is playing Windows games then it’s better to purchase a Windows system.

Dean Greer wrote:

I’m not sure what you expected exactly, the M1 Macs are a brand
new architecture and doesn’t support Bootcamp due to the current
lack of Windows 10 ARM for retail purchase.

As CodeWeavers provides a 14 free trial giving more than enough time
to test this out before making a purchase, so not sure why you made
a purchase before ensuring these listed titles worked.

If your main focus is playing Windows games then it’s better to
purchase a Windows system.

I must say its confusing to people. I think many people think WINE is like a magic software that makes Windows apps work. Basically thats what they think when they buy CrossOver.

EDIT: I just checked Lutris website and it has MGS V on their. I don't know if that means it actually works.

In reality its more complex with many workarounds and a lot of the apps are hit and miss. This concept does not translate well in the minds of average consumers, they go with the mindset "it either works or it does not" .

Maybe it added to his confusion that these games might work on Lutris or Steam Play I am not sure.

PurplePi wrote:

I must say its confusing to people. I think many people think WINE
is like a magic software that makes Windows apps work. Basically
thats what they think when they buy CrossOver.

While that’s true it’s always beat for verify if something you want to use works, also as the M1 is still new and running via Rosetta2 comparability is vastly different companies to Intel.

PurplePi wrote:

EDIT: I just checked Lutris website and it has MGS V on their. I
don't know if that means it actually works.

In reality its more complex with many workarounds and a lot of the
apps are hit and miss. This concept does not translate well in the
minds of average consumers, they go with the mindset "it either
works or it does not" .

Maybe it added to his confusion that these games might work on
Lutris or Steam Play I am not sure.

I wouldn't bother checking if something works with Lutris there wine builds contains to many unlisted patches/hacks it’s not useful to see if something works on stock upstream wine. Proton also contains additional patches/hacks but at least these can be seen but also not useful. There’s a reason Winehq doesn’t accept most reviews for apps.

Wine32on64 (CX21) doesn’t support the following winedbg, cms, gsm, gstreamer, gphoto, sane, vkd3d, vulkan, vulkan_1, winevulkan & X11. However “CrossOver” ships with very minimal options enabled.

It’s true a lot of things can be gotten working using workarounds and the average users won’t be able to accomplish this, there better sticking to listed supported apps/games.

Dean Greer wrote:

I wouldn't bother checking if something works with Lutris there wine
builds contains to many unlisted patches/hacks it’s not useful to
see if something works on stock upstream wine. Proton also contains
additional patches/hacks but at least these can be seen but also not
useful. There’s a reason Winehq doesn’t accept most reviews for
apps.

Wine32on64 (CX21) doesn’t support the following winedbg, cms, gsm,
gstreamer, gphoto, sane, vkd3d, vulkan, vulkan_1, winevulkan & X11.
However “CrossOver” ships with very minimal options enabled.

It’s true a lot of things can be gotten working using workarounds
and the average users won’t be able to accomplish this, there
better sticking to listed supported apps/games.

Will Crossover M1 native continue to work? Or will it now be able to support as much apps as x86 CrossOver? or will its life end at Rosetta emulation depcration? My understanding is that WINE needs to translate Windows commands to posix systems and that needs to be done on an x86 architecture?

Can Crossover benefit from the patches and workarounds made by Proton and Lutris to make different apps and games work?

PurplePi wrote:

Will Crossover M1 native continue to work? Or will it now be able to
support as much apps as x86 CrossOver? or will its life end at
Rosetta emulation depcration? My understanding is that WINE needs to
translate Windows commands to posix systems and that needs to be
done on an x86 architecture?

Currently CrossOver only functions due to Rosetta2, but we should have this for a couple of macOS releases.

Correct normally wine translates to POSIX equivalent, here’s an explication of how wine32on64 functions from one of the original people to work on this https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2019-December/156602.html.

There is an alternative being slowly worked called HangOver that uses qemu.

PurplePi wrote:

Can Crossover benefit from the patches and workarounds made by
Proton and Lutris to make different apps and games work?

Most of the Proton patches won’t be useful within CrossOver, VKD3D-Proton would also be useless on macOS. Lutris also falls into the mostly useless category.

The problem with most of the applied patches is they fix one thing but will break something else, CrossOver aims to be stable for Applications and games so adding special hacks isn’t a good idea.

And with respect to Proton, I will also add that the goal is to get as much of the work done there into upstream wine as possible, which means it will eventually reach CrossOver as well.

Thanks,
Meredith

Meredith Johnson wrote:

And with respect to Proton, I will also add that the goal is to get
as much of the work done there into upstream wine as possible, which
means it will eventually reach CrossOver as well.

Thanks,
Meredith

Yeah I should have explained I’m referring to commits marked “HACK” or Proton specific commits like the Steam integration.

Also ignoring the Linux only commits like fsync (need to remove it to compile outside of line last time I tried to compile Proton)

Meredith Johnson wrote:

And with respect to Proton, I will also add that the goal is to get
as much of the work done there into upstream wine as possible, which
means it will eventually reach CrossOver as well.

Thanks,
Meredith

I see, I thought Proton was something closer to a fork of WINE that is customized to run games on Steam specifically. They will just build their own thing.

Steam support Linux with Proton and no Mac is confusing since I am sure the Mac user base is bigger than the Linux user base.

PurplePi wrote:

I see, I thought Proton was something closer to a fork of WINE that
is customized to run games on Steam specifically. They will just
build their own thing.

Steam support Linux with Proton and no Mac is confusing since I am
sure the Mac user base is bigger than the Linux user base.

Unfortunately I don’t see Proton ever working for macOS again seeing the lack of updated to Steam or even there own games.

While Proton “could” function on macOS some of the other members working on the project (none CodeWeavers employees) are very hostile towards macOS.

Upstream wine would need 32-on-64, secondly other macOS developers would need to be hired along with lightly having Chip work full time on MoltenVK only so it can support DXVK without hacks. Chip would also need to work on the Vulkan trunking for 32-on-64, maybe dropping macOS Mojave support.

With the above DXVK and WineD3D Vulkan backend could be used (OpenGL is mostly useless now)

Lightly never have access to Proton-VKD3D due to how often this fork drops older code, they don’t believe in backwards compatibility only forward compatibility. Plus according to one of the developed who’s worked on DXVK it’s very un lightly that DirectX12 will work on macOS.

hmmm...it just seems like a programming bottleneck, nothing that a company like Valve can not fund.

At what point will games require Direct X 12 to function and not run over DX10/11 ?

PurplePi wrote:

hmmm...it just seems like a programming bottleneck, nothing that a
company like Valve can not fund.

At what point will games require Direct X 12 to function and not run
over DX10/11 ?

With how Valve doesn’t upgrade its own titles to work correctly on 64Bit macOS sheik they have working 64Bit engines I don’t foresee this happening.

Metal still doesn’t natively support a lot of required functions for Vulkan so those would end up being emulated so performance would be greatly impacted.

Lucky not many DX12 titles exist yet but it’s going be become the norm.

1 to 16 of 16

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiclMydWMzbUxOQWt2VFJGZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9