CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Few questions

Hello, I am new Crossover user I have few questions.

1) I noticed when I right click on a bottle I get the following options/settings:
High Resolution Mode
Perforamnce Enhanced Graphics
Performance Enhanced Synchronization
DXVK Backend

How should I know what to turn on or off?

2) I have enabled hot corners in my MacOS so top left corner always sends the MacOS to sleep but when I play a game in CrossOver the hot corners will take affect and my computer will go to sleep. Very annoying. How to fix?

3)When playing FPS and use the mouse to control the camera/pointer , I also get the system mouse/pointer on my game moving all around the screen. How to fix this?

4) Do controllers like PS5 work or not?

thanks

Hi there,

1) High resolution mode is most helpful for our Chromebook users and Linux users with large monitors. On a Mac, I wouldn't expect to need to use it. Performance Enhanced Graphics is mostly a legacy setting at this point, and disabling it may help some very old games. ESync might give you better performance in some games, so feel free to play around with it if desired. DXVK is needed for dx10/11 games on Mac.

2) I don't know of any workarounds for hot corner issues; to the best of my knowledge they need to be disabled when playing in fullscreen. Other users might have better tips.

3) I'm not familiar with this issue. Is this happening in all fps games?

4) Most controllers do work, including xbox one, xbox 360 and ps4 controllers. ps5 controllers do not work with CrossOver 20, but we plan to add support for 21. As a general rule, controllers that are released after the most current CrossOver release probably won't work: we can't anticipate controllers we don't know about :)

Best,
Meredith

1) I noticed when I right click on a bottle I get the following options/settings:

*High Resolution Mode
This option is mostly useless on macOS keep it disabled.

*Perforamnce Enhanced Graphics
A legacy option that on rare occasion needs to be used.

*Performance Enhanced Synchronization
This option “should” improve performance but honestly on macOS is provides almost no improvement.

*DXVK Backend
When enabled allows DirectX10/11 64Bit games

2) I have enabled hot corners in my MacOS so top left corner always sends the MacOS to sleep but when I play a game in CrossOver the hot corners will take affect and my computer will go to sleep. Very annoying. How to fix?

You’ll need to give permissions as requested see my answer to 3), or disabled hot corners entirely.

3)When playing FPS and use the mouse to control the camera/pointer , I also get the system mouse/pointer on my game moving all around the screen. How to fix this?

You need to provide the needed permissions, I believe it’s accessibility for allowing control of the mouse, after giving the permissions when printed you might need to close and reopen the launched application/game for this to take effect.

4) Do controllers like PS5 work or not?

Not in CX20.0.x these will possibly work in CX21. The PS5 and XBox Series controllers were released well after Wine-5.0 was released.

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi there,

3) I'm not familiar with this issue. Is this happening in all fps
games?

4) Most controllers do work, including xbox one, xbox 360 and ps4
controllers. ps5 controllers do not work with CrossOver 20, but we
plan to add support for 21. As a general rule, controllers that are
released after the most current CrossOver release probably won't
work: we can't anticipate controllers we don't know about :)

3) Its currently happening on Blood: One Unit Whole from GOG

4) Xbox and PS5 were released 5 months ago, I am guessing there was a CrossOver release since then, or do you mean latest stable WINE release?

Dean Greer wrote:

1)
*High Resolution Mode
This option is mostly useless on macOS keep it disabled.

*Perforamnce Enhanced Graphics
A legacy option that on rare occasion needs to be used.

*Performance Enhanced Synchronization
This option “should” improve performance but honestly on macOS
is provides almost no improvement.

*DXVK Backend
When enabled allows DirectX10/11 64Bit games

2) I have enabled hot corners in my MacOS so top left corner always
sends the MacOS to sleep but when I play a game in CrossOver the hot
corners will take affect and my computer will go to sleep. Very
annoying. How to fix?

You’ll need to give permissions as requested see my answer to 3),
or disabled hot corners entirely.

3)When playing FPS and use the mouse to control the camera/pointer ,
I also get the system mouse/pointer on my game moving all around the
screen. How to fix this?

You need to provide the needed permissions, I believe it’s
accessibility for allowing control of the mouse, after giving the
permissions when printed you might need to close and reopen the
launched application/game for this to take effect.

1) So its better to disable Performance Enhanced Graphics? It was ON(ticked) by default

2+3) I actually did via Preferences->Privacy->->Accessbility . I gave permissions to Crossover, the game, and something called "wine-preloader" . I am on Mojave if that matters.

There is also another weird thing, if I switch back to the desktop I can't go back to the game. It would be just a big window with light grey filling, won't go full screen, and I can't control anything in it but the game is running I can still hear the sounds and the sound effects if I fire a weapon.

PurplePi wrote:

1) I noticed when I right click on a bottle I get the following
options/settings:
High Resolution Mode
DXVK Backend

I know you got a slightly different answer from someone else, but I would suggest enabling PERFORMANCE ENHANCED GRAPHICS and DXVK BACKEND and leaving the rest off. At least as a starting point because some applications will benefit from enabling one of the other settings or from disabling PERFORMANCE ENHANCED GRAPHICS and you will have to experiment to find out which Windows applications are best used with different bottle settings.

I also suggest installing "DirectX for Modern Games" into your bottle, preferably before installing any Windows applications into that bottle. It provides more recently updated DirectX components than you get by default.

PurplePi wrote:

2) I have enabled hot corners in my MacOS so top left corner always
sends the MacOS to sleep but when I play a game in CrossOver the hot
annoying. How to fix?

Go into System Preferences and set your hot corners to trigger only when you move the mouse to a corner with a modifier key held down. I have mine set to command-hotcorner. I have had them set this way since the feature was introduced because even just in general use with the Finder or other applications I tend to poke my mouse cursor into a corner every now and then and I want the trigger to occur only when I actually wanted it.
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/tame-macos-hot-corners-modifier-key/

1) So its better to disable Performance Enhanced Graphics? It was ON(ticked) by default

By default it’s enabled you usually don’t need to touch this, some rate edge cases you will need to disable this option.

2+3) I actually did via Preferences->Privacy->->Accessbility . I gave permissions to Crossover, the game, and something called "wine-preloader" . I am on Mojave if that matters.

I’m mostly running Mojave also and don’t get this issue so I’m not sure, this usually happens more on macOS Catalina/Big Sur

There is also another weird thing, if I switch back to the desktop I can't go back to the game. It would be just a big window with light grey filling, won't go full screen, and I can't control anything in it but the game is running I can still hear the sounds and the sound effects if I fire a weapon.

This happens to everyone unfortunately but not for all applications/games, I prefer playing games in Windowed mode when ever possible though so this doesn’t affect me too often.

I would like to report that the mouse cursor appearing and moving all around the screen during gameplay is gone after I disabled Performance Enhanced Graphics.

John M. Hammer wrote:

PurplePi wrote:

1) I noticed when I right click on a bottle I get the following
options/settings:
High Resolution Mode
DXVK Backend

I know you got a slightly different answer from someone else, but I
would suggest enabling PERFORMANCE ENHANCED GRAPHICS and DXVK
BACKEND and leaving the rest off. At least as a starting point
because some applications will benefit from enabling one of the
other settings or from disabling PERFORMANCE ENHANCED GRAPHICS and
you will have to experiment to find out which Windows applications
are best used with different bottle settings.

I also suggest installing "DirectX for Modern Games" into your
bottle, preferably before installing any Windows applications into
that bottle. It provides more recently updated DirectX components
than you get by default.

PurplePi wrote:

2) I have enabled hot corners in my MacOS so top left corner
always
sends the MacOS to sleep but when I play a game in CrossOver the
hot
annoying. How to fix?

Go into System Preferences and set your hot corners to trigger only
when you move the mouse to a corner with a modifier key held down. I
have mine set to command-hotcorner. I have had them set this way
since the feature was introduced because even just in general use
with the Finder or other applications I tend to poke my mouse cursor
into a corner every now and then and I want the trigger to occur
only when I actually wanted it.
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/tame-macos-hot-corners-modifier-key/

thanks for the reply, how do I install "DirectX for modern games" ? I don't know how to use winetricks I am fairly begginer. Also do I need to enable this and DXVK if I mostly play old/retro games?

As for the Hot Corners, I don't know if its possible but some sort of a solution should be made. Its very annoying.

PurplePi wrote:

I would like to report that the mouse cursor appearing and moving
all around the screen during gameplay is gone after I disabled
Performance Enhanced Graphics.

That’s good to hear.

PurplePi wrote:

thanks for the reply, how do I install "DirectX for modern games" ?
I don't know how to use winetricks I am fairly begginer. Also do I
need to enable this and DXVK if I mostly play old/retro games?

Use the application menu to install the components into the desired Bottle, you don’t use nor need Winetricks for CrossOver. While it’s possible to get winetricks to work with CrossOver it’s really annoying.

DXVK is used for modern 64Bit games, it won’t work for much older titles. CrossOver version of DXVK is different from upstream DXVK and tweaked for use on macOS

PurplePi wrote:

As for the Hot Corners, I don't know if its possible but some sort
of a solution should be made. Its very annoying.

This lightly isn’t possible for CodeWeavers to workaround, you’d need to alter hot-corners on your end.[i]

Thanks, I appreciate your help a lot.

When you say DXVK is for modern games, at what point does a game considered modern and needs DXVK? After the year 2000? after 2015? Is there a way to know when I need to install DXVK?

Also, is DirectX for Modern Games different than DXVK backend? Do I need to install both? Whats the difference?

PurplePi wrote:

When you say DXVK is for modern games, at what point does a game
considered modern and needs DXVK? After the year 2000? after 2015?
Is there a way to know when I need to install DXVK?

You’ll usually want to check if the game is 64Bit and runs using DirectX10/11, installing DXVK into any 64Bit bottle in CX20 won’t hurt anything.

PurplePi wrote:

Also, is DirectX for Modern Games different than DXVK backend? Do I
need to install both? Whats the difference?

They are different things, you will need both. DirectX for modern games installs native windows dll files that in some cases function much better than the wine equivalent. This can be use unimplemented functionality within wine.

DXVK is a replacement for the WineD3D backend that translates to OpenGL, instead this translated to Vulkan.

1 to 11 of 11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia1VjOVRBM2NnbjYzeUczUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9