CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Errors on plugplay, kernel and stack overflow in my trail version

Hi,

Installed the trail version to see if Gensdatapro program would run on my MacBook Air with BigSur 11.3.1 and Crossover 20. So far a got further than I did with WineskinServer, winebottle and PlayOnMac.

The program starts and runs but no visuals, no screen and it closes itself but keeps running in the background. After 2 days I found it has probably something to do with the graphics and Wine only running in user mode, not kernel mode (as explained under 7.3). Where the issues lie with the other errors, I don't know. I've got errors on plugplay, kernel and stack overflow.

I get this log:

-> rc=768 (took 0.034430980682373 seconds)
output=[]
Command:
/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/bin/wineloader32on64 winewrapper.exe --new-console --workdir /Users/marjolijnpeeters-meijer/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/GensDataPro/drive_c/GensDataPro --start -- /Users/marjolijnpeeters-meijer/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/GensDataPro/drive_c/GensDataPro/gensdatapro.exe
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x5803
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x5a03
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0xa103
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x5d03
001d:err:plugplay:process_IOService_Device object 0x5e03
0009:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
0025:err:module:find_forwarded_export module not found for forward 'krnl386.exe16.GetProcAddress16' used by L"C:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll"
0025:err:module:find_forwarded_export module not found for forward 'krnl386.exe16.FreeLibrary16' used by L"C:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll"
0025:err:module:find_forwarded_export module not found for forward 'krnl386.exe16.LoadLibrary16' used by L"C:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll"
0025:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0025:err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 1936 bytes in thread 0025 eip 4be4353e esp d310fc stack 0xd30000-0xd31000-0x1d30000

I also found that I'm not the only one with these errors but I couldn't find how to resolve. I probably need to install additional packages/programs but no one says anything about which and where to find.

Can anyone help before my trail expires?

Marjolijn

I’ll ignore the mention of the other third-party projects, you can contact those as needed.

Ignore the PlugPlay errors you’ll get them even on Mojave with upstream wine.

The major concern here is 0025:err:module:find_forwarded_export module not found for forward 'krnl386.exe16.LoadLibrary16' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\kernel32.dll"
This seems very odd to me, was this a 32Bit bottle that was used?

Thank you for your reply. I know my css and html programming but I'm very new at this: getting programs to work in/with Windows. So I'll try to anwser your question as good as I can.

Not sure what you mean with "old". I made the bottle with Crossover tree days ago. Perhaps you mean the application is old? Bought the newest version two days ago because in the other third-party projects I got the same errors with older versions of the application.

I've searched internet to resolve these kernel32 errors and found that they are common with running applications in Wine for several years. So I know there must be a solution to this issue but I can't find it.

Marjolijn wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I know my css and html programming but I'm
very new at this: getting programs to work in/with Windows. So I'll
try to anwser your question as good as I can.

Not sure what you mean with "old". I made the bottle with Crossover
tree days ago. Perhaps you mean the application is old? Bought the
newest version two days ago because in the other third-party
projects I got the same errors with older versions of the
application.

I've searched internet to resolve these kernel32 errors and found
that they are common with running applications in Wine for several
years. So I know there must be a solution to this issue but I can't
find it.

I downloaded the application to verify what I believed the issue to be and it's what I was thinking, the application requires 16Bit where as wine32on64 doesn't support 16Bit (most Linux wine packages don't include 16Bit), so you won't be able to run this application under CrossOver nor any of the listed third-party wine wrappers you listed prior.

If you really require this try running it using Parallels Desktop using the Windows 10 ARM Insider image, it might work.

Wow, thank you so much.

Weird btw, the application (GensDataPro 3.0) states it functions under all Windows versions, 32bit as well 64bit. And it's only available on paid CD-rom or by paid download. Maybe you found an ancient version?

Do you know anything about the kernel mode vs the user mode in Wine?

I checked the website of the application again (GensDataPro) and in the FAQ I found the application should work with Winebottler because someone got that working a year ago. Maybe I will look there.

Honestly, I've had VMWare in the past running for this application. With the M1 VMWare doesn't work and no good updates available. I think running Parallels for just one Windows application is extremely expensive so I keep trying to find another sollution before I have to break open the piggybank. 😊

Hi there,

As Dean already explained, there is no wine-based solution for running applications that use 16-bit functionality on Big Sur. It's possible this application works with wine on Mojave or older macOS versions, but definitely not Catalina or Big Sur.

Best,
Meredith

Hi,

As I already explained, this application isn't free downloadable. Unless Dean just payed €60 for an application only in Dutch.

Earlier versions of this application ran with no problems using 32bit (which mine did in VMWare with Windows 7 under Catalina).

I do understand it has something to do with the 32bit/64bit functionality. As the current version of the application indicates (and I have asked the developer) the latest version only runs only with 32bit and 64bit.

So: either my install of Crossover misted something or I am missing an install-package of windows. But which?

Hi again,

Your own log also suggests that this application has some 16-bit component. Applications with 16-bit pieces can run on Windows, and some can even run on wine with Linux and older macOS versions, but they cannot run with wine on Catalina and Big Sur.

Meredith

Marjolijn wrote:

I checked the website of the application again
(GensDataPro) and in the
FAQ I found the application should work with Winebottler because
someone got that working a year ago. Maybe I will look there.

The log you provided shown the application was using 16Bit API calls.

Winebottler only works on macOS High Sierra and below since it bundles an ancient version of wine (not CX based)

I had tested the provided demo application using CrossOver20.0.4/Upstream Wine-6.8 along with Wineskin (my fork) all run this application just fine on macOS Mojave.

Many commercial applications on Windows do some annoying things like being 64Bit make 32Bit API calls and another module is the original 16Bit code.

Thank you both so much.
I know the demo is the 2.9 version with the 16bit. The developer assured me the 3.0 version has not.
Anyway, I think I have to get my hammer and hit the piggybank ...

1 to 11 of 11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWFFzeHV4dXRyRXBQZ0pUZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9