CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam connection issues

Since a few days, I noticed Steam connection issues - very long connection time (not always), disconnection if left idle.

Back at PortingKit they seem to have found the same issue:

“Maybe you found out yourself lately regarding logging into steam, but there seems to be a specific issue with Steam at the moment that logging into steam takes a while. Besides that the store and library may be black as well. The cause is that on every launch, Steam now randomly picks whether to use UDP or WebSockets to connect to the servers, and WebSockets don’t work under Wine for some reason“

Are you aware/fixing this problem ?

Cheers

Hi

I have this same issue. To workaround it, until hopefully a fix is put in place, I start steam using -tcp. If your install is default then you can use "run command..." to create a launcher like this:
"/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/<name of bottle>/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steam.exe" -tcp
This forces TCP every time and has never failed me.

Another workaround might be to go to your Steam-bottle (drive_C/Program Files(x86)/Steam) and remove the Appcache folder and simulate a restart of the bottle.

That fixed it for me.

Francisco Madeira wrote:

Since a few days, I noticed Steam connection issues - very long
connection time (not always), disconnection if left idle.

Back at PortingKit they seem to have found the same issue:

“Maybe you found out yourself lately regarding logging into steam,
but there seems to be a specific issue with Steam at the moment that
logging into steam takes a while. Besides that the store and library
may be black as well. The cause is that on every launch, Steam now
randomly picks whether to use UDP or WebSockets to connect to the
servers, and WebSockets don’t work under Wine for some reason“

Are you aware/fixing this problem ?

Cheers

Going off the Winehq bug Brendan is looking into this. We (PortingKit team) are using the provided option from Brendan of passing -udpforce.

I’m sure this will be resolved upstream if possible or at least the workaround will be integrated directly into CX21, due to how unstable the current CX20 Steam hack is I’d decided to skip updating the hack to also inject -udpforce.

Thanks guys.

The -tcp seems to solve the issue, indeed !

Now for some reason I can't "Save Command as Launcher" in my Steam bottle...

Edit: "Clear and Rebuild Programs" sorted it out...

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia2hNTXp2OVZYeUpSOENrSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9