CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

New Witcher 3 Next Gen Update Not Working

I download the new Witcher 3 update, but it doesn’t seem to be working on crossover. It says it’s running on steam for a while and then after about two minutes, it opens a black screen which closes soon after and then stops running.

Same problem here - in my case update happened automatically and because my steam screen is black I can't downgrade. 😕

I've managed to find a fix.

In crossover:

Goto Bottles->Steam
Click Run Command.
Then browse to "/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/The Witcher 3/bin/x64/witcher3.exe"

Save that as a new command in crossover and run from there.
Seems to work with 1.32 classic and the new Next Gen patch.

That worked! I saw that there was a dx12 folder, do you think the game was trying to launch in dx12 and that was the issue?

Had the same problem after the auto steam update to ver 4, and then followed the suggested fix provided in this thread.

First time it worked and I had access to my current play through, however, when I next started up the game it displayed the New Game option for a fresh play through of the new ver 4.

I seem to have LOST my current game, which is more than annoying,; can any one help in providing a way to access my existing game, that's many hours in progress?

Thanks.

Allow access to the Downloads folder for the newly created command.
System Setttings -> Privacy & Security -> Files And Folders -> witcher3

Hi,

Thanks for that, however, it was already in place on the macOS (Ventura 13.1) system settings, checked again just now and still the "New Game" option is being offered at start up/

I have invested many hours in the game, New Game + at level 88 fyi, and it would be very disappointing to have to start over!!

Can you roll back the update? Why does Steam not offer you the choice of an update or not, very poor implementation and I am surprised that there are not more reports of this issue within the community.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Btw have posted an issue with Codeweavers so hopefully they can help.

Eletero wrote:

I've managed to find a fix.

In crossover:

Goto Bottles->Steam
Click Run Command.
Then browse to "/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/The Witcher 3/bin/x64/witcher3.exe"

Save that as a new command in crossover and run from there.
Seems to work with 1.32 classic and the new Next Gen patch.

I can't find that location when I browse through CrossOver:
https://imgur.com/a/EjQLFva

I do find that location when I use the finder though.
So when I use the path "drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/The Witcher 3/bin/x64/witcher3.exe" I get these 2 error messages one after the other after trying to run the game:
https://imgur.com/a/mSDgabw

I'm thinking about doing another clean install.

After several issues with Crossover over the years I have come to the conclusion that my time is far more valuable than to keep on fire fighting issues, which never get any direct and useful support from Codeweavers - they reply to the support request but with no useful help.

So I have purchased a Xbox Series X and purchased TW3 - next gen from MSoft, and I can tell you it is light and day better than Crossover - everything and I mean everything is a much much better gaming experience than trying this emulation crap - time to move on and man am I pleased I have!!

Pays your money and takes your choice....

Cheers and good luck on the path....signing out for good!!

After trying my fix for a while I found the next-gen version (even the non dx12 exe) wasn't stable.

For sure the dx12 version won't work with crossover - I don't think dx12 is supported yet.

Btw - you should always enable DXVK for witcher 3.

So in the end I:

1. Got around the steam black screen problem by reinstalling - it seems the first time you install steam the black screen on your Library isn't there.
  2. Downgraded witcher to version 1.32 in steam (this can be done through game properties and beta versions)
  3. Then applied my original fix.

Seems to be working again now.

For those who have lost save games, I had cloud save turned on by default in steam (so my save games were online) - may be the same if you have steam.

They were also saved locally.
"/Users/<yourmaclogin>/Documents/The Witcher 3/gamesave/"

You might need to copy them over or make sure the directory inside the c_drive of your steam bottle points to the right place:

c_drive/users/crossover/documents should point to your mac documents folder.

Noice!! Can confirm it works. Thanks a bunch

Did a clean install of the beta. There are a lot of graphic errors though. Lots of color twitches when during special light effects, so guess I'll do another install of latest version... yet again.

1 to 13 of 13

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiN0piVnhmVVFhS3lia3BUWSIsImdkcHIiOjB9