CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover 11.3.1 and RootsMagic 6

Ok it seems that Crossover does not work with the new version of RootsMagic 6:
I get the following error messages:
The program RootsMagic.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience.. this can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency is Wine. You may want to check http://www.codewaevers.com/compatibility/ for tips about running this application..

I get it for Roots Magic 6 and RootsMagic 6 to go applications.
I have done the uninstall install routine same error every time. I have remove the bootle and created a new one.

I contacted RootsMagic support they say it should work but bounced the ball back over to code weaver..

Make sure you have installed the latest RM6 update (6.0.0.2). You may then still get an error, but it will be a GDI+ error that CodeWeavers has already addressed in this ticket:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=899800

• Bruce

I have the same trouble. I tried implementing the instructions in the ticket mentioned without success. Part of the trouble was that there was no RootsMagic 6 bottle. Therefore, I tried applying the fix to the RM6Setup.exe bottle, but it did not work. RootsMagic 5 is running fine on this machine. What do I need to do to make RM6 work?

Not having a RootsMagic 6 bottle is itself problematic - when you install RootsMagic 6 using the Crosstie file at this webpage:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=10995

Crossover should be automatically creating a new bottle for the RM6 installation. There are additional settings in that Crosstie file that solve the GDI+ error, as well. The best thing to do in your case is probably to delete your existing RootsMagic bottle and then install RM6 from scratch by opening the Crosstie file at the above link in Crossover and clicking "install" to proceed.

Towards the end of the install, you'll see a checkbox to "launch RootsMagic 6" when finished. Uncheck this box, then complete the installation. When this is done, you should find a RootsMagic 6 launcher in Crossover's Programs menu, and the program should launch without error.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUWFzVU1GYmFQVVRSVm5yUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9