CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Windows program not working. Can I swap from backup?

I am using an older version of Crossover - 8.0.1 for an unsupported program - Clickforms, an appraisal software program. Newer versions don't work. I last used it a few days ago and everything was fine. Today I get an error access violation 00404F58. I have a previous time machine backup. Can I swap an older backup and see if that works? And from what point? Crossover folder in Application Support? I don't want to screw anything up, but I need to get this working.

Thanks

Did the program update itself, that you know of? Did you update your operating system since the last time it worked?

I would first make a backup of your current .../Application Support/CrossOver directory. Then make sure you have all of your data backed up - you may be saving that data inside of the bottle in which you run the program, or may be saving it outside of the bottle elsewhere on your machine. Finally, you can use CrossOver itself to create an archive of your bottle by using the 'Make Archive' button in the 'Manage Bottles' window in CrossOver.

After you have backups of what you have now, then if you have an old archived bottle in which you know your application was working, you can try unarchiving that.

If you do not have an archive of your bottle which CrossOver created with its 'Make Archive' button, then yes, it is reasonable to try reverting to an older version of .../Application Support/CrossOver.

Note: if you know which bottle you need to restore from backup, you can try restoring that bottle alone (it will be in .../Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/<name of your bottle>/ ). If you only use CrossOver for this one purpose, you likely do not have many bottles and simply backing up / restoring the entire Application Support/CrossOver directory is probably reasonable.

Success! Swapping the Crossover folder seems to have fixed it. I'm a chicken about fiddling with things on the computer and doing something I can't fix. Nothing had been upgraded between uses. Codeweavers couldn't get the newest version to run either. It's working now.

Thank You!

Joni

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV2VCTTJxZXZDc1dCaDd2RSIsImdkcHIiOjB9