CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover 12 and IE7, No Go

Hi all,

I've installed 12.0.0 and IE7 (minus some fonts that weren't located). IE does start up and has allowed me to change my home page, but, so far it freezes when I open a new window. I just tried again and it froze simply clicking a wikipedia link.

I'm running 10.6.8 with plenty of RAM on a 2011 MBP. Any suggestions? Should I reinstall IE7? It seemed to go well, but I have no other ideas. Perhaps there's a protocol for this, but with such a new release, I thought I'd bring up the issue here.

Thanks,

Franz

I'm having the same problem. I have tried reinstalling everything but still get the same issue. IE launches but basically just freezes up after one click in. It won't let me terminate the process either. I have force quit out of Crossover entirely.

Alex, yes, precisely. Can't quit IE and, when quitting out of Crossover, I get the message that IE is hanging on some process and do I want to kill it. I do, but that's hardly a solution and we can't be the only ones having this problem.

Franz

I think this could be two things.

1) Crossover 12 is using an old IE7 install profile that outdated. In Crossover go to the Crossover menu, Preferences, Installer Assistant tab, and make sure Automatically Download New Profiles is checked. Close that and go to the Configure menu, Install Software, let the list update, and pick IE7 to install again. You can also go to http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=1491 and click the green Install IE7 button to use the newest profile.

2) IE7 doesn't quit cleanly and it's leaving stuck processes in memory. Either go to the Configure menu in Crossover, Manage Bottles, highlight the IE7 bottle and click the Quit Bottle/Force Quit bottle button. You can also just quit Crossover to clear memory.

Hi Andrew and all,

I just replied to Andrews's post in my support ticket thread and thought I'd post the salient info here.

I told Andrew I re-downloaded IE7 following his instructions. Unfortunately, this did not resolve my problem.

To restate, after doing a bit more experimentation, it seems that IE7 becomes non-responsive during use. This eliminates the second scenario as the problem, since the issue originates during normal running of the program, not upon quitting. When Crossover attempts to quit IE7 it says IE7 is non-responsive, warning me about terminating the process (which I do). It is difficult for me to isolate exactly when IE7 is becoming non-responsive. It navigated around the Wine site for several clicks, and it went to Live Search and was able to search, but it froze when I attempted to follow a Wikipedia link. It was able to go to Google via the Live Search text box, and I was able to click to Google News, but then it froze on attempting to follow News links.

I still imagine others are experiencing these same issues and I hope Codeweavers can return to the loom and fabricate a solution.

Cheers,

Franz

Hi Franz

I'm entering this thread late on I use IE7 for a couple of IE only sites witch use a mess of MS crap and I am not having any of the trouble you are seeing. I would ask if you have checked your system for missing dependencies. I'm an OpenSuse user and run /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag for terminal it is different if you are on Deb based system.

Hi,
OSX.6.8(snow leopard)+CrossOver12 : get the same problem with IE7 but even with CrossoverExplorer, that is some web sites freezes. I've just installed Firefox17 and every site goes well and very fast !!! I noticed a very important difference : Firefox17 runs Javascript1.8 instead of IE7 and CrossoverExplorer running Javascript1.3
If developers team could upgrade them, it would be great !
😊

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS2E0dWdjSFIyTVF4Y1F3YyIsImdkcHIiOjB9