CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Nitro Family? Nope.

just for giggles, I picked up a copy of a game called "Nitro Family" (3d shooter, sorta like Serious Sam) and thought, well, let's try running it in Crossover. I realize that I'm expecting way too much from Crossover, especially with this kind of game. I read the readme, and if your video card doesn't support T&L(hardware transform and lighting, whatever that is) and doesn't have 32/64 megs of vram, well, then, no Nitro Family here. I think I should have read the requirements before installing or trying to run it. I don't know what kind of video card CrossOver can emulate, but I'm guessing not a GeForce 2/3 or ATI Radeon. Nitro Family is too demanding and intensive a game for this, it's also probably too new.

well, I'll try again, but, I think for now I'll have to uninstall it

John B

I see no problem in the requirements at all. Since geforce 4 every card supports T&L. Crossover doesn't emulate the card just the DirectX layer. The problem could be another thing but requirements

Regards

CrossOver has a pretty much feature-complete d3d9 implementation, which includes most of the additions to d3d9 that were added in Vista and d3d10-capable cards. That doesn't mean our d3d support is bug-free though. Especially DirectDraw and Direct3D7 and earlier are really nasty APIs, and games found surprising ways to abuse them. From the GPU requirements I'd expect the game to use d3d7.

To make things worse, games have error handling like this:

try {
mainloop();
} catch (Exception &e) {
MsgBox("DirectX is broken");
}

E.g. crashday complains about d3d9 not being supported because it can't contact the multiplayer master server which has been shut down years ago by the game developer 😊

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQXhkVUhMZTNaWkdFd1dXZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9