CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

No sound for Computer Based Training program

Hello,

I have installed a proprietary computer based training application that was issued by my employer. The program is an interactive slide-show type thing with a narrator speaking in each section. It's an older app (mid 90's). It runs fine in CrossOver WinXP, Win98 and Win2000 bottles except for the lack of sound.

I have gone into the Control Panel, Wine configuration and played with the audio tab settings with no luck. The choices there are (System default), Built-in Output, Default Device, and AirPlay. None of the options help. When I press the Test Sound button I get a "thunk" sound but no warnings or errors.

The program files contain numerous *.aud files. I assume these are the sound files but I haven't been able to play them on any Mac or Windows media players that I have. They may be proprietary.

I realize that without more specifics about the application, it may be difficult to find assistance. I wish I knew more about the application - it was created by VEGA Group, PLC. I have installed this program on an actual WinXP and Win7 machine and it works without a problem.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or give me some ideas of things to try, I would be most appreciative!

Cordially,
Ken

I looked around my games and stuff to see if I had aud files, but to no avail, so I can't test anything at all.

Still, while googling, I found this search result about a aud codec. As you can see, there seems to be a "aud-x" codec which supports .aud files. Installing such a codec might get you going, but keep in mind I'm not vouching for any of these, I don't know if they work or if they're safe. There might also be another, maybe better codec out there, and it would seem to me, that's the sort of thing you need.

Otherwise, there are a few free players out there, so maybe installing one of them in the bottle would get the needed files and play sound in other software, although that's more of a stretch than a plain codec.

Lastly, have you tried opening a support ticket? Maybe Codeweaver's staff already has a straight answer for you. The forums are nice if you want help from the community, but official support comes from the support ticket system.

Good luck.

Thanks, Jean-Patrick,

I'll look into the codec idea.
My support plan has expired so I can't submit a ticket. If I decide this issue is important enough, I'll update my support with Codeweaver and submit a ticket.

Thanks again for the help!!
Ken

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUnpZWnJGSjd6dW5lN1BBMyIsImdkcHIiOjB9