CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Right click not working

I'm trying to right click in a game by HER Interactive (Nancy Drew series) and although I've enabled the function under CrossOver preferences, I cannot seem to do so. I've tried restarting the program, restarting CrossOver, and rebooting my Mac, but nothing seems to solve this issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming that you have the secondary "click checked" in your mouse preferences. Make sure it's checked.

Louis Zaytoun wrote:

I'm assuming that you have the secondary "click checked" in your
mouse preferences. Make sure it's checked.

Indeed - check if right click is enabled on mac - then try it in Crossover - this should work now...

I'm having right-click problems too. I don't see a mouse setting to enable right-clicks on this mac, but control-click is working in Safari, so I think it's enabled.

I'm using Wineskins, not CrossOver, so maybe that's my problem ;) Still, I'd like to figure out whether the problem's in my app or WINE. The app is one I wrote. It's a 'smart terminal' app, and right-click on input fields pulls up context-specific help. I can get this to work by hitting Control-Command-Click. Control-Click alone doesn't work, and I had to enable the Wineskin 'emulate 3-button mouse' option to get even that to work.

The problem is that my app also has a custom grid widget. Right-clicking there is supposed to bring up a menu of grid options, but when I hit Control-Command-Click in the grid, I get the context-help for the underlying window - as if the right-click were not being presented to the grid widget but instead to the parent window.

For what it's worth, I've never had this problem with WINE under Linux. This is the first time I've tried it on a Mac.

If CrossOver will 'solve' this, that's fine. Although it would be nice to know it can be solved in the Wineskin setup.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Y wrote:

I'm having right-click problems too. I don't see a mouse setting to
enable right-clicks on this mac, but control-click is working in
Safari, so I think it's enabled.

I'm using Wineskins, not CrossOver, so maybe that's my problem ;)
Still, I'd like to figure out whether the problem's in my app or
WINE. The app is one I wrote. It's a 'smart terminal' app, and
right-click on input fields pulls up context-specific help. I can
get this to work by hitting Control-Command-Click. Control-Click
alone doesn't work, and I had to enable the Wineskin 'emulate
3-button mouse' option to get even that to work.

The problem is that my app also has a custom grid widget.
Right-clicking there is supposed to bring up a menu of grid options,
but when I hit Control-Command-Click in the grid, I get the
context-help for the underlying window - as if the right-click were
not being presented to the grid widget but instead to the parent
window.

For what it's worth, I've never had this problem with WINE under
Linux. This is the first time I've tried it on a Mac.

If CrossOver will 'solve' this, that's fine. Although it would be
nice to know it can be solved in the Wineskin setup.

Thanks,
Rob

I'm not exactly sure what you're hoping for here, but I'll do my best to help. It's been a while since I loaded WineSkin, seems like I was about due... quite a bit has changed.

So let's see, where to start.

First, do you have a mouse that has three buttons or do you have the "unimouse"? If the later, have you enabled right clicking within your MacOS system preferences (Apple Icon, System Preferences, Mouse)?

Second, you've used the setting "Emulate three button Mouse" in WineSkin. However, you say you have to do "Control-Command-Click" to get a right click? Looking at the setting in WineSkin it looks like you'd need do 'Command+Click' for the right click... The additional button would make it difficult for the keypresses to be properly recognized in CrossOver so I imagine that in WineSkin the same would apply (I don't have your application to test with). Plus, this setting shouldn't be necessary if you have a mouse with three buttons already on it (as in, my three button mouse works fine on my Mac for right clicks in Windows applications).

Unfortunately I think you'd find CrossOver to be at the same place WineSkin is (I say that without testing your application of course). But I think there are some things you'll need to test out/try. I would start with an actual three button mouse if you don't already have one (and leave the additional mouse setting alone). If that doesn't end up working, I would then start toggling mouse settings.

Please realize I'm not an expert when it comes to WineSkin. I can probably make it do most anything that CrossOver does but I'd rather help in CrossOver and I'd rather have your application in front of me to have a better handle on what I'm dealing with. I respect your wish to use WineSkin so I can only hope that the pieces I offer help. Your WineSkin specific questions will be better answered on their forums.

Thanks for trying to respond - I realize it's hard to answer secondhand.

Anyway, the mac doesn't have a 3-button mouse. It's a Mac mini with the original one-button mouse. If I can get access to a mac with a multi-button mouse, I'll try it there.

System Preferences, Mouse only has doubleclick timeout and some other slider. No option to enable right-click. But again, Control-Click works everywhere else but in WINE, so as far as OS/X is concerned, right-click is supported.

In any case, I don't know why WINE requires Control-Command-Click instead of Control-Click to generate a right-click, but I am getting right-clicks. The odd part is that they're not going to my custom grid control. The parent window of the grid is getting the right click and responding to it. Under Linux WINE everything works great, including right-clicks. I guess the Linux and Mac WINE codebases are significantly different...

Anyway, I've used WINE on Linux for ages and I love it. This is the first time I've tried it on a mac. Pretty good there too - except for this quirk. Maybe I'll download the Crossover trial and see if it works there.

Thanks again,
Rob

Hey. I tried a real multi-button mouse on the same Mac mini, and it works perfectly. So it has something to do with right-click emulation (or WINE's handling of the keyboard). Anyway, pretty nice.

Found this in the wine Mac0SX/FAQ:

How do I right-click in Wine on Mac OS X?

Control-click, as you're probably used to, won't work in wine (so far?). Workaround: Enable secondary click by tapping the trackpad with two fingers. Therefor go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad and enable 'Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click'. You can then do the right clicks by tapping the trackpad with two fingers. 

Update: if you are running a current version of Xquartz, you can go into the X11.app preferences when its running and select what you want to be modifier keys for right and middle clicks.

So I guess that's what wineskin does when you ask it to assign Ctrl-Alt Click as right-click. And that kind of works for most things. But that's where I got the problem of rightclick messages being sent to the parent window, not my control. A real multibutton mouse works much better :)

Just a follow-up. It turns out my app was set to ignore Ctrl-Rightclick. Once I got rid of that, Ctrl-Command-Rightclick brings up the menu in my grid widget. But, as soon as you move the mouse, the menu goes away - so you can't select an action from the menu. This behavior happens in standard Windows edit controls too, so it's not my app's fault (I don't think).

I found a workaround, though. Once the menu comes up, if you take your finger off the Command key, moving the mouse will no longer close the menu, and you can select menu items with the mouse or keyboard. So this funny menu behavior is related to the Control key being down.

Does this ring any bells?

Thanks,
Rob

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYTJVVHBlcjZUWnNGcTc5MiIsImdkcHIiOjB9