CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

First timer looking at code weaver, naive double question on compatibility

I have a 2008 desktop powermac with the following video card running Lion OS X.
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0611
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3233
Displays:
Cinema HD:
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: CY7491UYXMP
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

1) Will code weavers work with my mac, or is my mac too old?

2) I see there is a lot of discussion of getting guild wars 2 to work with code weaver, is my mac good enough for it or should I buy a cheap pc? Guild wars looks awesome and I am an old WoW junkie that dropped it because of subscriptions costs.

Thanks for any help. If the responses are positive I will look forward to purchasing your product.

Crossover does not add anything significant to the requirements, so your mac is not the problem where crossover itself is concerned.

The problem is always found with the program you intend to run. For exemple, running MS Office won't be much of a problem for any system that isn't an antique (like my Macintosh II SE in the attic 😋 ). But for recent 3d games, your system must match the minimum, even under windows, which mostly demand pretty powerful beasts. In other words, a "cheap pc" might not cut it either, even new.

Also, I have noticed some performance hit while playing games. Mostly, it's that the video drivers aren't as good as under Windows. As a Linux user, I do get more updates than Macs do, but they still tend to be worse than Windows. And from what I see on these forums, Apple doesn't update video drives often, leaving you to wait on them. You can't do like under Windows or Linux and just update the driver yourself, you have to wait for Apple. Anyway, for a good idea, look at the benchmarks at phoronix.com. The site is very Linux oriented, but since the tech is "similar", it would give you an idea of the difference of perfomance between driver versions.

So, in short, your system must at the very least match what you intend to run, and maybe at little more. You seem to have the specs for Guild Wars 2 (http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/), but I can't speek for the state of your video driver, so it's hard to say. Maybe an experience Mac user would know. If I were you, I would do some research into dual-booting with bootcamp, to get windows, but dual-booting isn't as fun as Crossover, believe me. Dual-booting is truly a pest and a time-waster, but it's good for gaming with windows, while keeping your preferred OS.

Thanks for the fast response. I'm testing out the "trial" version of crossover and it seems to work fine, so I think my old mac's performance is adequate. I will wait to see how the guild wars 2 adaptation goes before committing to it.

Again thanks for the help.

William Eggemeyer wrote:

I have a 2008 desktop powermac with the following video card running
Lion OS X.
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

2) I see there is a lot of discussion of getting guild wars 2 to
work with code weaver, is my mac good enough for it or should I buy
a cheap pc? Guild wars looks awesome and I am an old WoW junkie
that dropped it because of subscriptions costs.

Thanks for any help. If the responses are positive I will look
forward to purchasing your product.

I just wanted to touch base on this, seems like your basic questions have been answered. BUT, I have an Nvidia 8600GT Mac at my finger tips. I've been working a bit on the main forum thread for GW2, located here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=7951;forum=1;msg=125157

Bug number 9566 happens on my Mac. It's maddening because the first scene as a "human" is played during the rain and is nearly impossible to play with all that "white rain" going on. Get past that and there are other instances of the bug. I assume it would also happen with the 8800GT. The good news is that when that's not going on, GW2 is completely playable on my system.

Thanks for that further input. I hope the developers address the bug. I guess I will bite the bullet and purchase crossover.

Thanks.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic2NNWXVxeWZ1QlJLRWFZWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9