CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installation Windows games on Mac using CrossOver

Hello,
I have a legal version of CrossOver. Every time I have installed a Windows game it does not show up under my programmes. So, it is not there and I can't pley the game.
Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Greetings
Hountsje

The easiest way to install a game would be to double-click the .exe file that installs the game. It will create a bottle (by default an XP bottle) in which it will install the game. The CrossOver main screen (all bottles) will now show a bottle for your freshly installed game as well. Select this bottle and if the game installed properly it will show several icons amongst which the one you need to start the game.

In the main screen of CrossOver you can also select the button 'Install Windows Application' and follow the on screen instructions.

I do not know which game(s) you want to install but lastly you can also try to use a CrossTie, which can be downloaded from the codeweavers website, if the game is supported by CrossOver that is.

Thanks Jørgen,

I tried several ways but every time I try to open the game it says that there is no Windows programme configured to open the game.
This keeps popping up every time I' ve installed a Windows game.

thanks
Hountsje

Hi Hountsje

Did you check the compatibility database, are your games in there - and if so which are the games that are affected? Did the games you installed, install properly?

If yes to all, you can try to select your bottle (of any of the games that will not run) and double click 'Execute Command...' You navigate to your game directory (Usually Drive_c / Program Files / Game Directory) and select the executable you need. You now can either choose 'Save Command as Launcher', which will produce an icon inside your bottle that will launch the game after you double-click it, or directly choose the execute option which will henceforth launch the game.

Some newer games no longer run on XP. If so, you can try fiddle with the OS options that show up when you double-click 'Configure Wine' inside your bottle.

Hope this helps. If not, can you provide some info like OS; CrossOver version and the games you are trying to run?

Hello,

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.
I did what you suggested and get the following message:

winewrapper.exe:error: cannot start L"Y:\Desktop\Crime Puzzle - 55tgbvcxAAS33wpLM66GcZ.\Crime Puzzle\Crime Puzzle.exe" (error 31) and it keeps saying there is no Windows prog configured to open the game.

It says the game is installed but I can't find it anywhere on my Mac. IOS El Capitan. CrossOver = Versie 15.1 (15.1.0.29653)
I was able to install some games ealier and they work but the last few weeks it' s not working properly anymore.

Hello Hountsje

If I am correct, you are trying to run Crime Puzzle. Crime Puzzle is a game that is not listed in the codeweavers compatibility database. Software not listed here may or may not run; if it does it is not a guarantee for future use. Many games and applications that do run in CO do not show up in this database. Hence you can't get (official-) support if you run into trouble. This might apply to the games you report aren't running properly anymore (did this occur since you updated to version 15.1?) as well. Error code 31 could refer to missing or incompatible drivers. (N.B: Just to make sure: are you trying to run the game from an external disk?).

To find the game go to your bottle in CrossOver's main window and select 'Bottle' from the pull-down menu. Go to 'Open C: Drive'. The Finder will open and show the game's location once you select 'Program Files'.

edit:info

Hello Jørn,
No, I am not trying to run it from an external disk. I probably am not fortunate with the games I want to install. I will keep looking for other ones and keep trying.
Thanks for your time!

Hountsje

You are welcome. Just wish I could have been of more help.

In case you want to check in advance for your games to see if they will run in CrossOver: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility

Hello everyone

Hountsje wrote:

winewrapper.exe:error: cannot start L"Y:\Desktop\Crime Puzzle -
55tgbvcxAAS33wpLM66GcZ.\Crime Puzzle\Crime Puzzle.exe" (error 31)
and it keeps saying there is no Windows prog configured to open the
game.

This may have something to do with the . at the end of the directory name. Paths are not allowed to end with a dot on Windows. I suggest renaming the directory.

Hello there!

Good afternoon. Help run "Windows 7 games for Windows 10" http://winaero.com/blog/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/ program is installed, but not started.

1 to 12 of 12

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTkJGM2R3cnZIZWhheFllayIsImdkcHIiOjB9