CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Launch a program in a window

Hello all,
I enjoy very much Crossover for some years now, but never managed to launch a program in a windowed screen mode on my Mac than the usual fullscreen mode. I was very happy with this new option available (Emulate a virtual desktop) which had to make my life easier in Crossover but never get to make it works on each bottle I own.
I actually click on the option in the wine configurator, and enter the resolution size but it still launches this fullscreen mode in each application. Did I miss something ? Is it the good way to have windowed programs ?
I run Crossover 15.0 on the last OS X 10.11.2.
Thanks.

I had recently this issue trying to run a game in windowed mode, and got this answer from the staff:

"The emulate virtual desktop mode only works on the older X11 mode of Crossover so you can give that a try. Just open Crossover and click the Bottles button in the top left to show the list of bottles on the left hand side. Select your bottle that Flatout is installed in Click the gear icon at the bottom of the window and go down to "Settings" and check the "Use Legacy X Window System" option. Reboot the bottle as instructed and now the virtual desktop mode should work, though in some applications this does cause graphical issues or other quirks."

And further:

"Yeah, the newer Mac driver doesn't support the virtual desktop mode yet, and there isn't a ton of demand for it so I can't say when or if it will get added. I am glad to hear that the game runs for you with the X11driver though."

It would be nice if the Mac driver get support to this feature!

Ruben P.

Thank you Ruben!! I tried it, and it worked even with some graphical issues on some bottles. Thanks a lot for your help. :)
By the same time, I agree it would be nice to make it works with the new Mac driver.
Nicolas.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicGZRdHpXUjNMNE1KZHhlTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9