CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver 16.2 & Birth of the Federation

I have a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra (10.12.3). I just upgraded from CrossOver 16.0 to 16.2. Birth of the Federation was working beautifully under 16.0. Now, when I start the game in 16.2, the initial video runs, but then there is a black screen. The app freezes. When I tried clicking using the video to get to the game itself, the video froze.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Any info you might need in order to help me? Or, is it possible to downgrade back to 16.0? I feel like I renewed my CrossOver license for nothing! Any help will be appreciated!

Mark Nolette wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra (10.12.3). I just upgraded
from CrossOver 16.0 to 16.2. Birth of the Federation was working
beautifully under 16.0. Now, when I start the game in 16.2, the
initial video runs, but then there is a black screen. The app
freezes. When I tried clicking using the video to get to the game
itself, the video froze.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Any info you might need
in order to help me? Or, is it possible to downgrade back to 16.0?
I feel like I renewed my CrossOver license for nothing! Any help
will be appreciated!

In the bottle where Birth of the Federation is installed, there is a gears menu with settings you can toggle. Under that menu (and the sub-menu labelled 'settings' is a setting called "Performance Enhanced Graphics." By default is will be on. If you uncheck that and restart the game, does it work then?

If not, then yes, you can definitely downgrade. You can also file a ticket with us - a bug report is definitely appropriate. We do sometimes have regressions and while we try to avoid them, they creep in. But our support staff will try to get you running with 16.2 if it is possible.

Josh DuBois wrote:

Mark Nolette wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra (10.12.3). I
just upgraded from CrossOver 16.0 to 16.2. Birth of the Federation
was working beautifully under 16.0. Now, when I start the game in
16.2, the initial video runs, but then there is a black screen.
The
app freezes. When I tried clicking using the video to get to the
game itself, the video froze.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Any info you might need
in order to help me? Or, is it possible to downgrade back to
16.0?
I feel like I renewed my CrossOver license for nothing! Any help
will be appreciated!

In the bottle where Birth of the Federation is installed, there is a
gears menu with settings you can toggle. Under that menu (and the
sub-menu labelled 'settings' is a setting called "Performance
Enhanced Graphics." By default is will be on. If you uncheck that
and restart the game, does it work then?

If not, then yes, you can definitely downgrade. You can also file a
ticket with us - a bug report is definitely appropriate. We do
sometimes have regressions and while we try to avoid them, they
creep in. But our support staff will try to get you running with
16.2 if it is possible.

Thanks for your reply!

I found the menu, and unchecked "performance enhanced graphics". The game still does not work. It still freezes on a black screen after the opening video is done.

Has your policy on tickets changed? Once I filed a ticket about Civilization IV Complete, but was told that you could do nothing because it was an unsupported application. BOTF is also officially "unsupported", I believe. If you're willing to help, I'll do the ticket!

P.S. If I need to downgrade, how would I go about doing so? My "old" CrossOver is still in my Trash!

Mark Nolette wrote:

P.S. If I need to downgrade, how would I go about doing so? My "old"
CrossOver is still in my Trash!

You should just be able to drag the old crossover back into your /Applications folder (while CrossOver is not running) and be good to go. If you have problems or have lost it, all of your older versions will be available from our website if you log in and go to the 'My Downloads' section.

If toggling the Performance Enhanced Graphics switch didn't do it, I'm not sure whether there would be other things support would be able to do that would get the game running. It is possible they would have a different solution, but it could be that in this case a downgrade is easiest. It is always a struggle, and disappointing not to be able to fix each of these issues as they arise (particularly regressions - those are in theory things we can track down and sleuth out). With the wide variety of Windows applications, it isn't always possible, unfortunately. I'm sorry the game has regressed! We welcome support tickets and it's possible they will have additional suggestions, but you are right, I cannot guarantee a fix. At the very least they will make sure you can get your old version back. (That part ought to be easy.)

Josh DuBois wrote:

Mark Nolette wrote:

P.S. If I need to downgrade, how would I go about
doing so? My "old" CrossOver is still in my Trash!

You should just be able to drag the old crossover back into your
/Applications folder (while CrossOver is not running) and be good to
go. If you have problems or have lost it, all of your older
versions will be available from our website if you log in and go to
the 'My Downloads' section.

If toggling the Performance Enhanced Graphics switch didn't do it,
I'm not sure whether there would be other things support would be
able to do that would get the game running. It is possible they
would have a different solution, but it could be that in this case a
downgrade is easiest. It is always a struggle, and disappointing
not to be able to fix each of these issues as they arise
(particularly regressions - those are in theory things we can track
down and sleuth out). With the wide variety of Windows
applications, it isn't always possible, unfortunately. I'm sorry
the game has regressed! We welcome support tickets and it's
possible they will have additional suggestions, but you are right, I
cannot guarantee a fix. At the very least they will make sure you
can get your old version back. (That part ought to be easy.)

Thanks again! I've posted a ticket, to see if anything happens. I can always downgrade if need be.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaGs5Wlp4WjJVaFE3Z0pCUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9