CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CUPS-PDF -> messed up results

I have the latest Crossover Mac 9.0.0 and the latest version of CUPS-PDF installed. No matter wether I use my real printer (HP Color LaserJet 3600) or CUPS-PDF I always get the same messed up reults like the in the example-PDF linked below. There is always a black block on top of the page and then the real page-content is kind a blurred weavy below that. The page I want to print is a list with names and email-addresses, the print looks the same weather I choose landscape or portait.

http://upload.digination.de/public/cups-pdf_example.pdf

One assumes you are running Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.x) if you have installed Crossover Mac 9.

That being the case, why would you need CUPS-PDF? The print function of the Mac OS has for many iterations now, generated PDF files "automagically" with no problem. In the OSX Print Dialog box, simply select the PDF option "save as PDF" or one of the other PDF options.

OSX itself uses CUPS, so installing another version on top of it would likely lead to problems. (man -k cups)

I don't know the mechanics of CrossOver's handing off print jobs to the OS, but CrossOver itself cannot print in either a Mac or Linux environment.
It has to hand off the printing to the OS at some point.

I installed CUPS-PDF, because I got the same result with my HP printer before installing CUPS-PDF and thought that it might be a problem with my printer in combination with Crossover, but now I see that it's a generall problem with Crossover. So is there any way to fix that?

William isn't quite right in what he says. Mac-native applications get print-to-PDF functionality basically for free from the standard Mac frameworks. However, Windows programs running under CrossOver do require something like CUPS-PDF to print to PDF. (CUPS-PDF does not entail installing CUPS itself, so there's no danger there.)

That said, the issue you're seeing is not one I'm familiar with. I recommend that you open a support ticket. That's the way to get this routed to the developer with the most expertise in this area. The issue is probably specific to the Windows program you're trying to print from and the way it interacts with CrossOver. That is, it's probably not a general issue with printing in CrossOver; most other Windows programs should print just fine.

I can't open a ticket, because I still use the trial-version. I don't want to buy a software, I know doesn't work like it is supposed to be.

If you reply to the email you received after downloading the trial, that opens a ticket. Otherwise, email info@codeweavers.com.

Ticket 739084 - Mac to Windows PDF - Binary Weirdness?

Thx, but as I'm not a paying customer just yet, I can' access the ticket ☹️

@Crawler: So open your own ticket, as I described above (reply to the trial email or email info@codeweavers.com).

I would suggest not offering CUPS PDF as a solution - it sends files to nowhere! Right now I need to "upload" the document/file/etc through a web service to covert it to pdf because none of the directions anyone has attempted to provide me to get CUPS PDF to actually print anywhere have either been complete gobble gook or have been straight up wrong. Right now this inability to print from Crossover is making it absolutely worthless.

I am also experiencing the same issue.
Using a trial version. 23 days to go.

Run Excel 2007.
When I go to print to CUPS-PDF no file is made.
If I go to Mac settings and pause the printer the file is there.
But click run the file is gone.
I then search all files from today and there is no new file made with the PDF.

Which version of Mac OS X are you using?

I notice there's a fairly new version of CUPS-PDF at http://bitbucket.org/codepoet/cups-pdf-for-mac-os-x/wiki/Home (4 weeks old). I installed it as per the directions on that page and tested printing from Word 2007. It produced the file in the location it said: /Users/Shared/CUPS-PDF/(my username).

That's a peculiar location, admittedly, but the file was there.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard).

1 to 12 of 12

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYUw5dmJ1VEtRU0plQmtuZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9