CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

COP8.0.1 - Bug in Snow Leopard, program icon creation

I don't know if this is a snow leopard only bug, but it seems that if you change the location of the application icons, CrossOver Mac Pro 8.0.1 fails to create icons for the programs being installed if you try an manually create an icon via the Run program option. I haven't tried installing programs the usual way or anything else, I just noticed it doesn't work, deleting the preferences file and rebooting fixes the issue, but it then creates the application icons in <SECOND HARD DRIVE>/Applications/CrossOver or something like that, and it seriously doesn't belong there. I can't change this location though, please fix it ASAP since it is quite annoying and I assume this shouldn't be a hard issue to fix. Incidentally, my second drive is also my home folder, so it might be <HOME>/Applications/CrossOver... not sure, but I figured it isn't important. The point is, if you tell it where to create icons, it fails to make them.

First, these forums are not the place to submit support requests. Please open a ticket for that.

With regards to this specific issue, please see what I wrote here.

EDIT: I somehow managed to get it to work - I just hope it stays working. I did actually read your original post before creating this forum topic and your suggestion/script didn't work for me. I don't know why it works now, but at least it is better than it not working.

Would you mind explaining to me why the permissions on your home folder should matter if the icons are being created in /Applications? That really doesn't make any sense.

Well, I'm glad you got it working, although I share your discomfort at the mysterious behavior.

Francois Grobbelaar wrote:

Would you mind explaining to me why the permissions on your home
folder should matter if the icons are being created in
/Applications? That really doesn't make any sense.

Because before it gets around to creating the launcher helpers in the Programs folder, it has to do some internal bookkeeping in the bottle. The creation of the launcher helper apps is actually the last step is a long, complicated process, most of which is hidden. The check of the permissions of the home folder isn't strictly necessary, but it was added to avoid a problem that some of our users were having (mostly on Linux, though).

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSzhRWmVtWlFXekdBSmNaMiIsImdkcHIiOjB9