CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Help! Font Rendering on IE7 and IE6 is terrible an unreadable

Hi. I am testing out CrossOver Mac so I can view web pages I'm creating in IE7 and IE6.

However, I'm finding that the fonts being rendered by IE7 and IE6 in Crossover are very faint and sometimes completely unreadable. I have no idea how to solve the problem. I've talked with one person who uses IE7 on a real PC and says the same web pages are rendered fine on his computer.

I've posted some screenshots online so people in the forum can see what I'm talking about:

http://emberapp.com/mirsky/collections/windows-vs-mac-website-fonts

If anyone has any solutions please let me know.

Thanks

Crossover installs a "core fonts" package during the installs of IE6 and IE7 (provided that you installed by selecting the apps from our Install Software menu and allowed Crossover to download and install IE7 in the "default" manner). This package includes the most common MS Fonts like Arial, Tahoma, Times New Roman, etc. Problems arise when a webpage calls for MS Fonts other than those in the Core Fonts package. In these cases, Crossover will either select what it thinks is the nearest equivalent on your Mac, or will select the nearest equivalent from the Core Fonts set.

There are a couple of ways to tweak what's going on, there. The first is to try enabling anti-aliasing inside the bottle, itself, which you can do via these instructions:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/cxofficeantialias

In our experience, this is effective slightly less often than not.

Another route is to remove the windows fonts from the bottle, completely, forcing IE7 to use only Mac-Native fonts. You'll probably get smoother, easier to read fonts in most cases, but you'll also see different fonts that you would if you were using a Windows machine. To so, make sure IE is shut down, and navigate to /home/[user]/Library/Applications Support/CrossOver/bottles/bottlename/drive_c/windows/fonts, and move the fonts folder onto your desktop for the time being. Then, re-start IE7 and test the webpages in question.

Thirdly, if you happen to know exactly which fonts are needed, you can copy them into the above fonts directory for the bottle.

Jack, thanks for the reply. I've also been trying to solve this issue while talking to James Ramey via email.

James instructed me on how to install the Core fonts but I'm still having the same trouble with some websites in which the fonts are totally unreadable.

My main need for CrossOver for Mac is so I can view webpages I've created to see how they would look on a PC. Consequently, I'd like to view those pages in CrossOver so that they look as much like a web page on a real PC as possible.

I just tried following the instructions and ran the "regedit" command. However, I entered it ten minutes ago and CrossOver is still processing it. It doesn't seem like it's working properly or I imagine CrossOver would be done by now. I'll wait a few more minutes but if nothing happens then I will have to force quit and therefore not be able to continue on to the "Then proceed to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Control Panel>Desktop" instructions.

Anyway, I'm still very frustrated and hope the font issue can be resolved.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZWF4U21DdWtMNjhNVFpocCIsImdkcHIiOjB9