CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Installation Problems

Hi,

I've been attempting to install Steam on Mac OSX Snow Leopard (via download and cd) for the past 4 hours. I can install the app but upon launching am told that I need to be connected to the internet. I am connected and presume that since Steam works in bootcamp the problem can't be with my router/ports etc.

No firewalls running - connected to internet through Airport.

Am now lost - any ideas?

Running Crossover Games 8.1.3

Thanks

Just to add - I've now copied the installation of Steam that I am successfully running via Bootcamp into the bottle being used for the Mac-based installation. Whilst I don't get the error message above whenever I now click steam.exe I get a window informing me that Steam is updating but it doesn't progress past 0% and simply states that 'cannot connect to the steam network - please try again later'.

Something weird going on with internet communications to this Steam client and I can't figure out what it is.

I have PeerGuardian but have quitted the program.
I don't use any anti-virus or related programs.
Steam works perfectly well when on bootcamp.

Confused...!?!

I've sorted it - seemingly.
Even though I had quitted out of PeerGuardian it appears that it was still blocking access to Steam ip addresses. Added the range of ip's for Steam to the allow list and the Steam client managed to connect.

Now installing COD:MW2 with fingers crossed.

nick wrote:

I've sorted it - seemingly.
Even though I had quitted out of PeerGuardian it appears that it was
still blocking access to Steam ip addresses. Added the range of
ip's for Steam to the allow list and the Steam client managed to
connect.

Now installing COD:MW2 with fingers crossed.

Is this working for you in Crossover? Isn't PeerGuardian a Windows app?

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUnJoYzJUUnlmaE5GNWFuMiIsImdkcHIiOjB9