CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

virtual midi ports, poor timing?

I was trying to use an app that outputs midi and pipe the midi via OSX virtual midi ports to another app. I found the midi timing to be unusable that way. Something in that chain is introducing a lot of latency jitter. Does anyone know if wine is somehow configurable to get better timing of outgoing midi events? Presumably a windows app will send events to a midi port, which Wine is somehow exposing to it. I am thinking that during the buffering of those midi events some kind of inefficiency is happening in Wine that essentially ruins the timing, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know anything about this?

thanks

I don't know what was going on before, but I got rid of the latency somehow. However I am getting mixed results getting the midi ports to work at all when attempting to use OSX virtual midi ports. For example, I run an application called "Reaper" inside CX and it works great. It sees the virtual midi ports. I try to enable them and they say they are enabled, but midi data doesn't seem to get sent or received. However, I have found that if I have something playing at the time that I enable it, they seem to start working correctly and after that work fine.

Does anyone know much about wine internals to know if there is some funny business going on about activating midi ports when the underlying midi port is a virtual midi port instead of an actual hardware device?

Does anyone know if CXMac or CXGames can be fixed to handle virtual midi ports correctly. They work very sporadically right now. It seems to be related to getting the ports flushed or initialized or something. When there is a virtual midi port present (under OSX), CX seems to see it and lists it as an available midi port, but I have not been able to consistently get that port to function correctly. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't and it seems to related to switching it on and off in some fashion makes it work, though I can't seem to find a pattern that will work consistently.

All I can figure is that somehow CX is no handling midi ports in a way that is compatible with OSX virtual midi ports.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV1Z3UEJCU2FyQ3FUNDR6OSIsImdkcHIiOjB9