CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Re-POST: Help Registering FL Studio 8.0

Hi all, I'm bringing this back up since there hasn't been a solution posted, and it's getting lost down the stream.

It is possible to load the Demo version of Fl Studio 8.0 - a popular music composition program - onto a Mac via Crossover. The Demo works beautifully save, of course, for those features that are limited by it being a DEMO.

The normal way to unlock FL Studio is via a .reg file the company sends you. On a PC, you simply double-click the file, and it's contents are automatically added to the Registry. After that, the program is in full licensed mode.

Obviously on Crossover Mac, you can't double click the file to open it. What a few people have figured out is that it's possible to open the Registry editor with the utilities included in Crossover. We have been able to use RegEdit to open the .reg file, which appears to do the same exact thing that's intended - i.e. adding some license code to the Registry. Problem is, once this has been done, FL Studio refuses to open at all. No Demo mode, no error messages, nothing. You can re-boot the bottle to no avail.

It all appears to come down to how the program validates the license code in the Registry. I tried manually adding each Key from the .reg file into the registry, and it always comes down to the Fl Studio 8 license code itself. The Demo mode will even run when I have the username ID key in the registry, and it recognizes I may be a valid user, but tells me to get a new code.

Has anyone solved this problem? Or can the Crossover folks take a quick look? It seems like it should be something easy - the program itself seems to work just fine in Demo mode; it's just some weird authentication string in the Registry hanging things up. Thanks!

I second this post and want to raise the point that there are many people (obviously including myself) in this exact situation who want to use FL Studio on the Mac. Should Codeweavers (or anyone else) resolve this issue I will purchase Crossover. If enough people request support for FL studio through Crossover (geting their reg codes loaded without corrupting the FL Studio install within Crossover) than perhaps this issue will be resolved or addressed.

The easiest way to help get a program into the spotlight is to help it along. There are two ways that anyone can help.

First, you can pledge money for development (some how money seems to motivate... the old phrase "Money talks but...").

Second, you can pledge your time. You can become an advocate specifically for the software you would like worked on and do some work on it yourself (report what is working, does an icon display when you start attempting to load it, if you set different defaults on your bottle, will it work... etc).

The harder answer is patience. As we develop CrossOver and release new versions, more and more programs have 'magically' started working.

Final parting thought, the more people that write in to our ticket system (open a support ticket and ask that a bug be opened for the issue you are seeing) with the same questions about applications, the more likely we are to look into the issue (even if the application is unsupported at the time).

The fact of the matter is that forum posts do get lost. We don't keep tabs on them the same way we keep tabs on our ticket system. We read the forum posts and try to take the suggestions, but at the end of the the day the tickets are what create and attach to bugs and are what our developers use to gauge how important an issue is.

If I could guarantee some sort of time line or something for this to work I'd donate some money. I know soooo many people who would buy your product it's not even funny.

Jesse wrote:

If I could guarantee some sort of time line or something for this to
work I'd donate some money. I know soooo many people who would buy
your product it's not even funny.

There's some daft logic here -- FL8 registered costs between USD$49->$299 depending
on which version you choose. I'm imagining that the crossover devs would really need
a registered copy (complete with registry 'key') to really nut out what's going wrong
here inside crossover. That said, devs might need the registry keys for -all- the FL8
versions, to be assured they all work 'as expected' - ie; the fix for the $49 version
might not work for all FL8 versions...

What Caron posted previously sort of sums up the situation - you can sit and wait, or
actually -do- something about it. That doing, may require that you reach into your
wallet, and part with some cash. If 10 people you know who soooo want to run FL8 without
windows' intervention each donated $5, that would help -- currently nobody has donated
anything at all. My point is, if you do nothing, you're relegated to sitting and waiting
anyhow -- give the crossover devs something to work with, and things may move forward.
To that end, posting comments in this forum is ostensibly doing nothing - you would need
to open a support ticket for FL8 and work with the devs to achieve anything here with FL8
and future releases of crossover.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZnFRZFJkMkEyNEttS1g0WCIsImdkcHIiOjB9