CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Games

I'm running the trial version of Crossover, seriously considering buying.

I just played around on Steam's Website and the seem to have a great selection of games, which is getting me a bit exited now, as I haven't really been gaming now for about 10 years.

Are any of the Steam based games compatible, well by compatible i mean playable, I know it's not all flawless.

I was pretty much in the same boat as you, when it comes to gaming. Ever since I switched to mac I had not really been playing that many games (mostly due to compatibility), but when I found this little nugget of gold called "Crossover," I've been hooked on games again. Now you're right, Steam isn't flawless in Crossover, but from my experiences I can tell you that every game that I have purchased as operated to the standards that make the games playable.

If you know what games you are interested in buying/playing, I would recommend checking out compatibility list located in the main bar across the top of the page. Locate the game that you are interested in and then reading what other people have experienced while running the game in Crossover.

Best of luck in your Crossover experience!

I've had a PPC Mac for years and just got an Intel iMac with a 4850 ATI Radeon video card. I had a free version of Crossover Games from several months ago, which I downloaded in anticipation of my purchase. I can verify that Half-Life Episode 1 & 2 and Counter-Strike: Source work great. I had a problem running in 1920 x 1200 mode, but it turns out, it wasn't a fault of Crossover. I needed to add a registry entry for my vid card. I also would recommend that you turn off "Blooming" in the advanced video settings. Blooming caused all the games I have in Steam to drop to 15 FPS. Because Crossover runs in XP virtual mode, the video drivers aren't as robust as those written for say, Vista or Windows 7.

There were also some noticeable texture errors in HL episode 2, but it wasn't such a big deal that it ruined the games. Basically, the birds in White Forest don't look like birds and there were some errors in some paneling when I was climbing over the top of a warehouse shooting down at crab zombies.

The bigger problem is with Team Fortress 2, which I've just started playing for the first time. There is a memory leak in the Windows bottle and nothing I've read on the forums has cleared it up. Basically, you play five minutes online and the games crashes to black. You have to do a Option + CMD + ESC to resolve it and restart. It's so bad that basically I only play Team Fortress in Boot Camp, which is really annoying because I have to restart.

Overall, I really love what the guys at Crossover have done, I just wish they could find a solution for the memory leak in Team Fortress and everything would be perfect.

We're working hard on the memory leak issue - it has been a very difficult bug to get a handle on. Thanks for your patience!

Well, I have the free version, but whenever you guys fix the Team Fortress problem, there is 40 dollars in my pocket waiting for you. I'll also recommend Crossover to all my friends, who also have Boot Camp installs just for games. Most of us would ditch Windows completely if we could play Valve Games. Thanks for your hard work.

Clark Richardson wrote:

Most of us would ditch Windows completely if we could play Valve
Games. Thanks for your hard work.

same boat

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOXlGSGdZUXllWlp3R0x4MyIsImdkcHIiOjB9