CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Launch icons not showing up in Programs menu

In using CrossOver 8.0.1, I noticed that launch icons are not getting updated in the Programs menu.

"Refresh Programs Menu" and "Clear and Rebuild Programs Menu..." do not seem to work, as rebuilding results in an empty Programs menu. I have uninstalled CrossOver (including the prefs files) and re-installed with the same results. I believe I have correct permissions on my home directory and the Applications/CrossOver directory, both show "Read & Write" using "Get Info".

I do have my home directory on a separate drive, which I imagine is the cause of the issue, however earlier versions of CrossOver seemed to not have any problem with this, nor do other apps. I say I believe this is the cause of the issue because under CrossOver Preferences when it is re-installed my "Programs Folder" is blank, and I have to manually specify it. I did not have to do this with CrossOver 7. However, after specifying a "Programs Folder", no launch items are ever created.

Does anyone think there's a way I can get CrossOver to make the launch icons, or is there a bug introduced in CrossOver 8 in how launch icons are created?

I believe my bottle is ok, because if I archive it and install the archive on another Mac, all the launch icons get installed.

Yes, a bug of sorts was introduced with CrossOver 8.

Although you have checked the permissions of your home folder, you may not have checked the ownership. We have had a number of users bitten by what we consider to be an odd configuration -- their home folders were not owned by their own account. Instead, they were owned by the root account and had permissions set up so that their own account could access the folder. For complicated technical reasons, a check was added to CrossOver 8 so that it refuses to carry out certain operations if you don't own your own home folder.

The Finder's interface for controlling permissions is a bit vague. It's hard to know exactly what it will do if you make changes and then select "Apply to enclosed items" from the action menu. So, I recommend that you work in the Terminal where the commands are much more predictable.

In a Terminal window, the following command will show you the ownership and permissions for your home folder:

ls -lde ~

You can use this command to change the ownership of your home folder and everything within it to your own user account:

sudo chown -R `id -un`:`id -gn` ~

It's important to get that command exactly right, including the punctuation, so you're probably safest to copy and paste it.

After you've done that, you have a couple of options to get your launch icons to show up. The first is to delete your bottles, recreate them, and reinstall your Windows software.

The other option allows you to keep your existing bottles and already-installed software: Launch CrossOver. From its Programs menu, select Run Command. Toggle open the Debug Options section of the dialog. Click the Open Shell button. That will create a new Terminal window and automatically issue a bunch of commands to configure it for use with CrossOver. (Due to some bugs in the scripting frameworks, the first such window may end up misconfigured. It can be a good idea to close it and click the Open Shell button again to create and configure a second such window.) In that window, you can issue the following commands to get the launch icons for previously installed programs:

cxmenu --bottle '<bottle name>' --install
cxassoc --bottle '<bottle name>' --install

where you substitute the name of your bottle for <bottle name> (putting the name inside the single quotes, as shown). Repeat that pair of commands for each bottle that you have.

Future releases of CrossOver should relax the check of the ownership of your home folder a bit. It should work if your home folder is owned by your account or by root. (If for some reason your home folder is owned by a different account, things will probably still fail.)

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ken Thomases wrote:

We have had a number of users bitten by what we consider to be an
odd configuration -- their home folders were not owned by their own
account. Instead, they were owned by the root account and had
permissions set up so that their own account could access the
folder. For complicated technical reasons, a check was added to
CrossOver 8 so that it refuses to carry out certain operations if
you don't own your own home folder.
[...]
Future releases of CrossOver should relax the check of the ownership
of your home folder a bit. It should work if your home folder is
owned by your account or by root. (If for some reason your home
folder is owned by a different account, things will probably still
fail.)

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Success! Thanks for the detailed instructions on changing ownership, it worked perfectly. I restored the bottle from an archive and all the icons showed up.

Thanks.

I followed the instructions, but now i have 2 entries for each application.
for example in the Program Menu:
Sword of the Stars <-- This has a CrossoverGames icon)
Sword of the Stars (SotS) <-- This has the proper application icon. (SotS is the bottle name)

Any idea on why this is happening, and how i can possibly fix it?

Did you recently save a 'Run Command...'?

If so... You can find the location of the saved command by going to:

/<user>/Applications/CrossOver/

Then, you can delete the launcher with the improper icon.

BUT, if this is not a command that you created, you may want to simply leave it alone. Removing it may adversely affect your application (or not...).

You can experiment by moving the 'offensive' icon to your desktop and then launching Sword of Stars from the 'proper' icon to see if it still functions. If it does, you are probably safe removing it.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZkxBS3R2NngyV1lSYTZaeiIsImdkcHIiOjB9