CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Why does Crossover Games crash/generally suck so much?

After using Crossover lots of other programs just crash or behave abnormally. I'm starting to feel a bit ripped off, I don't feel Crossover provides the functionality it promises. Actually it brings a lot of old Windows-style manners back to using OSX, like lots of booting and such that I really don't like. Nice to be able to play Steam-games on Mac but it really is much of a hassle.

I'm using 7.2.2 at the moment.

Have you put in an official support ticket for the problems you are having? Without telling us exactly what you were trying to do, it's impossible for anyone to help you.

CodeWeavers do have one of the most open refund policies I've come across in commercial software, even going so far as to provide you with a fully featured demo so you can try before you buy.

Is there a reason you've not upgraded to 8?

Had a customer in here last week - complaining about their computer
crashing all the time, doing strange things. Turned out the CPU radiator
was 9mm deep in dust and lint, and the fan bearings were seizing....

Point of my story - be sure your hardware is ok before blaming software,

Johannes Naumanen wrote:

After using Crossover lots of other programs just crash or behave
abnormally. I'm starting to feel a bit ripped off, I don't feel
Crossover provides the functionality it promises. Actually it brings
a lot of old Windows-style manners back to using OSX, like lots of
booting and such that I really don't like. Nice to be able to play
Steam-games on Mac but it really is much of a hassle.

I'm using 7.2.2 at the moment.

Why don't these ever come through before the weekend starts?

7.2.2 has known memory problems and leaks (although they should not be as bad as 7.2.x). I too wonder if you have considered trying CrossOver Games 8.x? And, if you been having these problems, have you submitted a support ticket? We do like to look into these things and generally need more details then that you play Steam games when CrossOver Games crashes. If you have not already please submit a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with the information of:

Your graphics card
What exact version of the MacOS are you on
Setup details (like dual screen monitors)
What game(s) you run when you experience crashes
If you were running any other applications through CrossOver during the crash
If you were running any other Mac apps during the crash
If you have any virus software on your Mac
What kind of connection you use for the internet

AND, if you submit a ticket we will more than likely suggest that you upgrade before we look to far into the problem on the notion that it may be solved in the current version of CrossOver Games.

Caron Wills wrote:

Why don't these ever come through before the weekend starts?

Because people like to game at the weekend, and it's only then they find out something's not working! 😀

Well, I experienced the same thing when using that version of a trial which pushed me to reboot my Mac, but this new version seems to be a lot more stable (Although it doesn't excuse them at all for the older version) so I would recommend updating.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidDlXV2JjS01FclRTR2tIUyIsImdkcHIiOjB9