CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

XFree86 in Crossover Mac/Games

I was wondering, with how Open Source friendly Codeweavers seems to be, why they don't release source code, or at least some patch files, for XFree86 that they use... it might not help Codeweavers in any way (maybe), but it sure would help the X11 front on Mac OS X, because XQuartz stinks.

Is it something to hold onto to force more Mac users to buy Crossover instead of using open source Wine?

I've "borrowed" Crossover with its X11 to run other X non-Wine apps (like Gimp), and they work good...

I have tried to build XFree86 from source, but it doesn't seem to like 3D rendering with Wine, and only works good with simple 2D stuff... it would be so nice to actually have Crossovers X11 server to replace Xquartz without having to "borrow" it out of Crossover manually.

Ken has sent the patches to the Apple X11 maintainers I think. The problem was that our patches are very hacky, so no sane open source project would commit them as-is, if the X server should still have general purpose use.

I'll ask Ken about the details though.

First, I'm of the opinion that XQuartz has come a long way. It is missing some features that our X11 has, but that's mostly because our X11 is focused on the needs of Wine and Windows programs, while XQuartz needs to be a general purpose X11 environment.

Our patches aren't that hacky, but they do things that aren't appropriate for a general purpose X11.

That said, the main XQuartz maintainer and I cooperate to the benefit of both projects. We have provided some patches to him (and his predecessor) for improvements to XQuartz and he's helped us with improvements to quartz-wm and libXplugin, which are closed-source.

At some point, we want to transition our X11 to be built on the modern XQuartz/X.org base, since ours is still based on X.org 6.8.2 (old!). Well, ultimately, we'd like to remove the X11 middleman and work directly with the Mac-native windowing and graphics system, but that's a long way away.

Well thanks for the answers...

the main thing your X11 does that XQuartz doesn't is good full screen support and resolution switching... if XQuartz could do that, it would be much more usable...

using Open Source Wine on Xquartz requires almost everything to run right to be in a virtual desktop...

I am glad your working with the Xquartz project some, I didn't know that! but sadly I think its going to be a long time, probably years, before a normal Xquartz install on OSX will be capable of running Wine good enough for Crossover.... no one there seems to care much about good full screen switching and resolution changing support, as pretty much Wine is the only thing that majorly needs it, it seems.... maybe someone can get that old Quartz driver project for Wine going again, and kill off the need for X11... but that looks like a lot of MAJOR work, might be easier to just stick to X11

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidHNNa01SQkczWEp2QXhzVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9