CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Testing web sites in ie6,ie7, ie8 and others

Hi

If I use CrossOver Mac for testing web sites in different Windows browsers will they render the same as if I was testing in Windows itself? Does CrossOver Mac use the Windows fonts etc?

Can I download and install ie6, ie7 and ie8 on CrossOver Mac in the same install of CrossOver Mac? Also, how well do the Windows versions of Safari, Firefox and Opera install on it?

Thanks

Peter Mount wrote:

If I use CrossOver Mac for testing web sites in different Windows
browsers will they render the same as if I was testing in Windows
itself? Does CrossOver Mac use the Windows fonts etc?

Usually they render the same way, but we cannot promise this. The HTML rendering components are the DLLs from Microsoft, but at some point they call gdi32.dll, which is our code and does not behave 100% like the MS gdi32.dll. We try to make it 100% compatible, but its a hard work and we are not there yet.

Furthermore, even on Windows you get rendering differences between different graphics drivers, graphics cards and monitors(e.g. different monitor DPI etc)

Peter Mount wrote:

Can I download and install ie6, ie7 and ie8 on CrossOver Mac in the
same install of CrossOver Mac? Also, how well do the Windows
versions of Safari, Firefox and Opera install on it?

You can install multiple ie versions in different bottles. Note that IE8 doesn't work yet, and IE7 has a number of limitations.

Windows Firefox works, Safari I think does not, and I don't know about Opera.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibVFZRXNBRXB2aGVuZU1rUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9