CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Reply to Thread Back to Threads

missing hard drive space
hong
hong
Posted 2008-07-12 14:59
I recently used utorrent on crossover 6.2.1. for mac and used a command to delete the downloaded data. However, after the data was deleted (file disappeared rather than moved to trash) no hard drive space was freed. I assume it issued some kind of command to delete the data but I don't understand how this windows command translates onto mac osx.

Is there a recycle folder of some sort on crossover?

Anyway it'll be great to find a way to get my hard drive space back

Thanks in advance
Stefan Dösinger
Stefan Dösinger  Staff Member
Posted 2008-07-12 17:30
Can you describe what you did to delete the file?

When you delete a file, CrossOver calls the macos API to delete the file(permanently I think, not moving it to the trash). There is no trash in CrossOver I know about. If we'd implement a trash bin in CrossOver, we would link it to the osx trash bin.

Another thing you can try is to start the disk utility and verify the file system. Maybe macos messed something up?
dotshka
dotshka
Posted 2008-12-22 03:31
Hello
I have the same problem using picasa with crossover. Any deleted pictures from my mac volume through picasa disappears from the disk but doesn't end up freeing space on the hard drive!?
Where are these deleted files trashed? I can't find any sign of them but they surely use the hard drive space
PS: When using picasa through crossover with pictures stored on an external drive, the problem does no occur
HA5TY
HA5TY
Posted 2008-12-22 23:50
Same thing is happening to me!    I downloaded WinRar and opened it using Crossover. After I was down unraring a file, I deleted it and it didn't free any harddrive space! Help!

I tried everything to fix this problem.... I even tried deleting all of my bottles and nothing worked!

Is there anyway to just delete everything in crossover except for crossover itself?
Sam!
Sam! Mystical Exalted Nigh-invincible Supreme Raging Atomic Dragon Turbo Chief Senior Advocate
Posted 2008-12-27 07:40
Intereseting..
The Same Thing happened to me  ...ExCept,,this bug is not really crossovers..Well..it happened to me while i was un-extracting a file using file-roller in ubuntu..i canceled it halfway..So..Same thing happened..takes up space...but wheres the file?? ..heres what i think...You know like in windows...When you delete the file..Its not actually delete ..only the link to that file is delete...making recovery of that deleted file possible...until its overwritten...Well...The half extracted file is acutally written..but there is er..no link to it..so use recovery tools ...Go to synaptic and look for a file recovery app...And ya..look for the half-extracted file..
um..Bout mac users...if you have such a tool...I dont know..i dun have mac..
Luca Nonato
Luca Nonato Chief Senior Advocate
Posted 2009-02-25 16:39
Same here: i used "UniqueFiler" to remove some dupe image within Mac folders (*MUCH* faster than running it in Parallels Desktop), but there was no free space gained - even if i deleted some 100 megs or more...

Cheers!
Luca

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

Please Wait...
eyJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi02LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNTcwNTQ3NzcwfQ==