CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Updating MS software

I would like to install Microsoft Office XP on my Mac. However, every time I have installed MS Office on a PC, over 60 MB of updates from Windows Update needed to be downloaded. Some of those updates were security patches. Is there any way I could update Office XP on the Mac?

You'd need to manually download and try installing the Office XP updates (like a service pack). A lot of the little security updates won't take since there's no underlying Windows OS (and not really a need for the security updates anyway). Typically you'd install Office XP and then do unsupported application installs of the updates against the bottle containing Office XP to get the updates to apply.

Thank you for your response. My principal concern was opening an infected Word or Excel file. As you pointed out, there is no Windows for it to infect. I have installed an anti-virus program. Could I rely on it to scan and disinfect Word and Excel files that I have downloaded? I'm not as concerned about bug fixes and functional upgrades. After I have installed Office, I will see if I can access Microsoft Update and download the updates. Do you have any suggestions for doing this?

Any native Mac OS virus-checking app should be able to clean Word & Excel docs, you wouldn't need to put anything in Crossover to do that.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNlhRVVhacGRHdjZ1dHZndSIsImdkcHIiOjB9