CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

MS Virtual PC under Cross?

This will seem an odd question, but there's some logic to it 😊

I have a very simple 600MB large Win98 running a book-keeping application running as a VM under MS Virtual PC 2007 on a PC.
I would like to be able to use the same 600MB hdd VM-file under OSX, without having to run Fusion on both the PC and Mac (Fusion exists on both, MS VPC doesn't)

So I've tried installing MS VPC 2007 and also 2004 under CrossOver, but the installer halts on the dialogue where I'm supposed to tell it what my name is, and if I'm about to instll it for everyone or just me (there's also a row with a pre-determined product key)

The problem really is that the installer is fine, but when I click on "Next", nothing happens. The behaviour is the same for both VPC 2004 and 2007. This slight glitch prevents me from even getting into the real installation process.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Windows OS -> MS Virtual PC Emulator -> Crossover/Wine binary translation layer -> Mac OS X

That's not going to work, there's way too many hoops and pitfalls for the whole thing to crash on. The VM hooks into really low-level structures in the hardware and OS that Crossover will never replicate as it's focused on translating higher-level API calls to their Mac/Linux equivalents. You'd be more likely to get Crossover to run in a VM than to ever get a VM to run in Crossover.

Probably the best thing would be to copy the bookkeeping documents out of the VM on the PC and back them up. Then see if the bookkeeping software will install in run in Crossover, and if it does try importing a copy of the backup bookkeeping records. If it doesn't then Parallels/VMware + bookkeeping software would be the best way to go.

Thanks

That pretty much confirms my fears.
I will try installing the book keeping app under Cross instead and see if I can simplybtransfer the data forth and back between the systems. Or simply stick to running the app on

Regards,
/Robert

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVlBnVFpiV0FYaGFQY1NnaCIsImdkcHIiOjB9